Thread: where does your inspiration come from?

Default where does your inspiration come from?

for me, a lot of the time i get overwhelming inspiration from simply listening to quality music. if i focus in on it i can envision some pretty intense sequences simply in my head. i guess that's why i figure film/video should just be a natural step..

anyways, where do you draw inspiration from?

here's some things i found that are pretty interesting, and really well shot!

California is a place.

Blog Entries

Non-prescription drugs.

I usually take one moment which somehow does something to me. This could be a phrase I hear or a look from someone or just the way the light is. It could be listening to music or seeing a movie. This will inspire me to form a concept, I then expand a whole narrative around this.

I have only just started on the more creative side of filming, only one video so far. I find getting others to come with me on the journey or sorting out practical problems, like casting or locations, to be very difficult and a block for my creative ideas.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Non-prescription drugs.
    That might explain a few things...

It's interesting how if I were to film the rising of a sunset...or play someone a piece of classical music I will get more of an emotional response with the music instead of the visual.

I find the idea of setting video to music more inspiring at first than: "let's make a video and the music will add to it"

Try watching this video BUT WITH THE VOLUME MUTED! Than go back to the beginning of the video and switch the sound on.

Yes the video has been made as a music video but the "stunning" shots should surely engage on a emotional level without leona lewis in the background...Try it and see what you feel when you do it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YDz-ftqr1g]YouTube - Leona Lewis - I See You [Theme from Avatar][/ame]

My inspirations DEFINITELY come from music. Next to that is the idea of losing a loved one. Those are the two things that strike deep at the core of my visionaries.

Where the conceptualization really meets the road is when I have an entheogenic experience in combination with the right song. "A Nice Little Place", by Ott put me there recently. It has lent itself tremendously to where I'm taking a current scene..

Ott - A nice little place - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bigben654321 View Post
    It's interesting how if I were to film the rising of a sunset...or play someone a piece of classical music I will get more of an emotional response with the music instead of the visual.
    It is indeed a well known and documented effect, only purpassed by a device to spray relevant scents into the viewer's nose

Quote Originally Posted by bigben654321 View Post
    I find the idea of setting video to music more inspiring at first than: "let's make a video and the music will add to it"
    Sadly, that is a common preference; but does not apply if you intend the music to be scored. Indeed, whilst many editors can add video to music; rather less are capable of editing quality video which will 'inspire' a composer to write a score. Interestingly, in a recent thread (regarding royalties), the happiest posters appeared to be those who created their own music scores.

7. Default

Sometimes I base videos or get the idea of one line in the song