Thread: Capturing miniDV Tapes

Default Capturing miniDV Tapes

I have many mini DV tapes of video recorded on a Wide Angle Sony DCR-HC90E camcorder. Unfortunatlely my now broken camera has been replaced with a Panasonic HDC-TM300 (internal card media). I have already replace the motherboard on the old Sony successfuly, however one of the ribbon cables has now deemed the camera useless again.

My question is shoud I be looking for an identical camera to use to capture the Mini DV footage or will I get similar results with any wide angle camera with varying sensors.

Hope this makes sense and I look forward to any advice.

Thanks

2. Default

Depends on the camera and how it writes the information to the tape.

I genuinely don't know what to suggest other than buy the same model as you had before because you know it works.

Blog Entries

Theoretically (Nice word that, useful if the information turns out to be wrong) a minidv tape recorded on one camcorder should be playable on any minidv camcorder. Providing that you haven't used one of the minidv spin-off formats like DVcam or DVCpro.

The manufacturers all agreed on a minidv convention, so "theoretically" any camcorder will do.

4. Default

We used an old Panasonic camera for a long time then we bought a nice Canon XHA1 and the DV tapes would not be could not be captured in the XHA1.

The tape would play in the XHA1 but the firewire connection could not read the time codes on the tape so whatever capture software we tried (Adobe, Final cut) the time-code stayed invisible so the computer did not capture anything.

This might have been a freak occurrence between those 2 cameras but I would advise caution...

Quote Originally Posted by bigben654321 View Post
    We used an old Panasonic camera for a long time then we bought a nice Canon XHA1 and the DV tapes would not be could not be captured in the XHA1.

The tape would play in the XHA1 but the firewire connection could not read the time codes on the tape so whatever capture software we tried (Adobe, Final cut) the time-code stayed invisible so the computer did not capture anything.

This might have been a freak occurrence between those 2 cameras but I would advise caution...
    Did you set your dv output to HD or 'squeeze, crop' dv format? I have many tapes recorded in SD on mini DV, and they all work and play/capture correctly on my new 1080HD cameras. My new cameras have the option to record in SD or HD, and maybe that is the difference. But I believe like the Gaffer says, Mini DV is a universal recording format, and it should be backward compatible with new MiniDv HD camcorders. make sure you have the correct iLink capture settings on your camcorder, to SD to either crop or squeeze the image down to SD for capture.

6. Default

The pany is not capable of recording HD and the XHA1 was setup correctly to film/capture DV footage.

We spent quite a while scratching our heads at it...

Anyway it might have been a weird occurrence between those 2 particular cameras. The same tapes work fine in any other camera.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post a reply to my question.
    I will most likely watch out for a second hand camera, although they are very scarce HC90 is still fetching 70 + on ebay.

Regards