Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: merge or unsplit two or more events Vegas MSHDP10

Default merge or unsplit two or more events Vegas MSHDP10

Problem: I need to know how to merge or unsplit two or more events.

I have seen over and over that one should delete the second one and then drag the edge of the first to fill in the gap. This doesn't work. At first I thought that it deletes the part of the video that was in the second event (because it was doing that to me). So, that's not a merge. But I just tried it again and what happened was that it just removed my trimming efforts. That's not really a merge either. It's just removing edits.

Scenario: I am trying to use event pan/crop to zoom in on portions of the video, but because I cut out little bits here and there or moved things around, I did a lot of splits of the video and audio. So now, as soon as the event ends, my key frame zoom control stops taking effect. If I have to add new key frames and keep hopping from one event to the next, that's going to be a lot more work than if I can just merge together all of the events that don't have any reason (like fades or other effects) to be separated.

Is there any way to do this? I thought about rendering everything and then starting effectively a new project with my rendered output as the source file. I suppose that would work except that it could mean a lot more time (waiting for rendering and so forth) and I would lose quality because of the lossy process of rendering. (Like analog photo copying.)

Software: Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10
    Last edited by $roman; 07-08-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: software didn't work as first described

OK . . . Please post some screen grabs identifying exactly what it is you having trouble with.

Ok, watch this. Does that explain it better?

Now THAT'S excellent illustrative example. I'm watching now and I'll get back in the next hour . . Well done, so much better than trying to explain in text!

Well, I'm still watching, but do look very closely at the very VERY first k/f - there is one tucked right up against the far-left hand side - and that is NOT the same as your RED k/f. A RED k/f is a HOLD which would mean you DO get a jump from a GREY to a RED. Does that make sense to you?

Not really sure what you mean by a jump. But, this is a general use issue, not something specific to my example. Still, you can see at 9 seconds into my video, the boundary of the event is crossed and the video goes from being zoomed in with my hold keyframe to full sized. Maybe I have the wrong kind of keyframe, but won't they all do that?

Is the only way with Vegas Movie Studio to add keyframes into every event?

I mostly have multiple small events because I cut out little portions, pauses and so forth, from the video.

Quote Originally Posted by $roman View Post
    Maybe I have the wrong kind of keyframe, but won't they all do that?
    No. If you right click on the Keyframe you will get a selection. Hold, Smooth . .etc etc . .

I've watched your example again and I really think you need to delete that very first GREY k/f.

As to a general approach, what you are doing is fine. You just need to get a grip on the way you place and then, if necessary, delete any default k/fs.

Please try and delete the very first k/f and either use a smooth k/f to allow a zoom in, not an abrupt change or duplicate a holds k/f and then zoom out with a smooth.

Blog Entries

I'm a bit lost.
    I do not see why there is a jump when you cross the boundary at around 59s. Neither of the events either side of that boundary have pan and crop settings (the icon is clear - not green) set.
    Have you possibly set P&C on the Media as well as the event?
    Tim

Oh man, how obvious. Well, it would be an improvement if I could just delete the default keyframe. I should have thought of that.

Though, unfortunately, it seems that's not even an option anyway. The delete option is greyed out for that keyframe. I can move it, but can't delete it.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I guess the ultimate problem is that Vegas uses the splits to designate what to do where and thus they can not be removed because there is no source file that's actually being edited. I think I just need a groupable pan/crop control to work across multiple events simultaneously.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm a bit lost.
    I do not see why there is a jump when you cross the boundary at around 59s. Neither of the events either side of that boundary have pan and crop settings (the icon is clear - not green) set.
    Have you possibly set P&C on the Media as well as the event?
    I may have misspoken. It's at about 9 seconds. The issue is the basic function of Vegas that each "event" has it's own pan/crop keyframe settings and there is a default at the beginning of each one that resets the keyframe position. And as I just noticed that can not even be deleted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast