Thread: Buying an XHA1?

Default Buying an XHA1?

Howdy! I am looking to buy a new camera and am leaning towards the XHA1. I wonder if you could give me any advice? I'm not an expert on cameras so would very much appreciate your help.

We have a budget of 3000 at the most. We will mostly use it for music videos, but also for short films and various small internet based videos - The main focus (as I'm sure it is with anyone) is to get maximum picture quality. How would the XHA1 stand up with this price and our requirements? Are there any other cameras that I should also look towards?

Would it be worth buying any lenses? I have no idea whatsoever when it comes to lenses so any help would be ace .

Last time we bought a camera, we got the XL1s and then a few months later everything pretty much turned HD which sucked. Is there any new technologies round the corner that we should be worried about when buying a new camera?

Also, where are the cheapest places to buy these kinds of cameras? i have trouble finding proper shops.

Lots of questions here. Sorry about that.

Thanks,
    Lloyd

Blog Entries

The XH A1 is a great camcorder and will do all you want.

Can you use it though? Like all tools, it's only as good as the operator. If your camera(wo)man can use the manual controls, the dozens of settings and "looks" and knows how to get the best out of the camera, it will do everything you need for music videos.

On the other hand... If your camera operator doesn't have the skill and knowledge to use the XHA1 to its full potential, then you'd be better off getting something a bit simpler (and cheaper) at first.

Hi, thanks for your reply

We have been using the Xl1s for a few years so have had quite a lot of practice working round that. We also rented a Sony XHA1 and shot a video with that, you can see it here:

so we do have basic knowledge of how to work manual controls. Even so, I would rather get a better camera and learn how to master it, rather than get a cheaper camera and be limited. I'm very stubborn and am willing to persevere until I understand

Sorry, I meant Sony Z1E