Thread: Just a quick one !!!!

1. Talking Just a quick one !!!!

Hi, I'm new here and I just wanted to ask a quick question.

I'm transferring miniDV to my PC and editing using Windows Movie Maker. However the files that are being produced are 10gb in size (for roughly an hours worth of footage). Obviously I want the best quality, but these files are too big to burn to DVD.

Is there a program that I can use to shrink the files without using quality?

Many thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

What format are the files you are producing. If they are the same format and use the same codec as your source (MiniDV) then they will be standard definition digital video (DVSD) avi files which are around 13GB per hour.

DVD video (the format required for domestic DVD players) require the video to be compressed using MPEG-2. With a bit rate of around 6-8Mb you should easily get 1hr on a DVD.

WMM doesn't create DVDs. As you're probably beginning to realise, creating an edited film is only part of the story. Creating a DVD is another part.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks Tim. Does this mean that I have to save files in a different format or size in Windows Movie Maker, or do I need a another program to reduce the size of the AVI files after I have captured the camcorder DV footage?

Sorry Tim I didn't see your reply unless we both posted replies at the same time, my apologies.

Mini DV is encoded as an avi at 25Mbps as far as I remember so you have to re-encode to the DVD standard which has a maximum bit rate of 9.8Mbps and is an mpeg2 file. you could then use a program like TMPGEnc Authoring to make the DVD this is my proffered way of doing it. the way I work out my bit rate is divide 30000000(30million) by the length of the video in minuets and then by 60 (ie seconds in a minuet) this gives a rough bit rate and allows for an audio bit rate of 224kbps or more.

I don't know how far you will get with Widows Movie Maker, I have never use it so don't know if you can re-encode to mpeg2, so an alternative to using the method above is to use a program like Corel Video Studio ProX3, this program has all the authoring built in. all you have to do is decide on the bit rate to fit on your DVD. I have found that you don't loose much quality as long as you keep the average bit rate above 4200kbps using VBR that will give you about 2 hours on a DVD, also this program has a free trial, as have all the editing programs so it's worth trying a few to see which you are comfortable with.
    Last edited by wandering-free; 07-08-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Microsoft offer some free software named "Live Movie Maker" (requires Vista or Windows7) from Windows Live Movie Maker
    It includes a menu to create a DVD (but assumes the User has Windows 'Vista Home Premium' or 'Vista Ultimate').

It works, and it is free; but lacks many of the features of commercial applications.
    Useful if you want to do things cheaply; but it won't suit everyone.

[additional comment - I guess this thread will soon erupt with a crowd of file conversion adverts; where the posters appear to get paid each time they cut 'n paste their adverts for a particular piece of rubbish software.]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    Sorry Tim I didn't see your reply unless we both posted replies at the same time, my apologies.
    Not at all. Yours expands on what I wrote so it's mine which is redundant
    Tim

Blog Entries

Didn't know that about Windows Live Video - thanks TimA.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    [additional comment - I guess this thread will soon erupt with a crowd of file conversion adverts; where the posters appear to get paid each time they cut 'n paste their adverts for a particular piece of rubbish software.]
    No sweat. I simply love deleting all the spam and I know my fellow mods do as well.
    Tim