Thread: recording a voiceover

Question recording a voiceover

For a home movie I'm working on I need to do a voiceover. Is it ok to plug a mic into my camera and record it onto there? I know I need to have a proper audio recorder really but would it work?

Cheers
    Pete
    Last edited by (Pete); 07-06-2010 at 03:30 PM.

"Is it ok to plug a mic into my camera and record it onto there?".
    Yes. It is legal, non-lethal; and it won't fighten the horses.
    The quality will depend on the mic's position, the quality of the microphone and the camera's audio recording specifications. Personally, I might expect it easier to use a computer to record the audio. Afterall, that is likely where the editing or video and audio will likely take place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Personally, I might expect it easier to use a computer to record the audio. Afterall, that is likely where the editing or video and audio will likely take place.
    I think this very much depends on your set up. As a muso, Tim, I'm guessing you have your PC set up in an environment with recording in mind.

I find it much easier to carry a camera and mic to an acoustically dead place (eg a room with lots of soft furnishings or under a blanket/duvet) to record a v/o than to try to eliminate the noise in my study (virtually none of which comes from my PC - without going to silly extremes I try to build "silent"). There's also less electrical interference elsewhere.

OK, to be fair, I no longer record to a camera, but to a digital recorder, but when I did camera noise (tape mechanism) was a consideration. However it was stlll more manageable than recording directly to the PC.
    Tim

Thanks guys. Never thought about recording it straight onto my laptop. I know what you mean about the noise from the camera. It's not brilliant when recording landscape footage and it's all quiet and peaceful, then you play it back and hear a constant whir.

In the early days of PC; sound cards were awful.
    Nowadays is it very common for them to have stereo input sockets; and be able to record audio with a reasonable sample speed and bitrate (44.1k, 16bit).

With some recorders (eg: cheap 'dictation machines', 'binaphone cassette recorders' and very cheap cameras) they often have inbuild systems which automatically adjust the volume. Those unpleasant devices, whilst saving the User from having to 'set the recording volume', have a downside. Quiet sounds are unnaturally amplified; and loud sounds are unnaturally quietened.

TimStannard's preference offer the best of all worlds. His small portable Zoom recorder has pretty good mics, excellent recording options; and the portability to do his recordings anywhere. As he suggersted; a PC with it's rattling disk drives and cooling fan make alot of noise!

A friend records at home using the Memo function on her Iphone. Although we post processed the audio a little bit afterwards; it was good enough (IMHO); to add to some video and bung it onto my area on YouTube.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    A friend records at home using the Memo function on her Iphone.
    Good tip. I seem to recall the odd video posted here where the audio has been recorded to iPhone with good results.
    Tim

I think I can record on my MP3 player. Not sure how good it is.....I'll give it a go.