Thread: night scene using filters?

Default night scene using filters?

I was watching Peter Pan last night on TV, there was a scene took place at night. The impression I got that it was shot with filters in blues over the camera? Would it have been shot in the day time or with normal studio lighting and the blue placed over lens...if so is there a certain filter for this?...

Also I remember watching a filmriot clip where they used an orange fore light to light the subject and blue background lighting to depict a dramatic scene.Since hearing this perhaps it was me or do they use that lighting set up quite a lot in block buster films as it appeared apparent in Peter pan as well???

Incidently where would one get cheap filter material for lights in the UK ?

2. Default

In days of old "Day for night" was a common way of saving money (Film crews cost a fortune after office hours) and it was done with a combination of filters. Usually involving a blue filter or shooting in daylight with tungsten film. Having a bit of tungsten light on the performers added to the realism. It falls down when the sky is in shot though.

Nowadays it is a combination of filters and post-production with a skilled colourist and selective keying. However, the main consideration is that the scene appears "blue", the skill is in keeping it real. There's no one filter that will do this although the Formatt and Tiffen "Day For Night" filters are a base to work from.

Now its time to experiment . I want to film car headlights ...show the pattern and effect in the dark, add a touch of drama to it and for technical purposes it has to be right... Not possible in the daylight but at night the camera just doesn't do what I want it to. Would a blue filter at night work to achieve this or cause the scenes to be just too dark to work with?

Blog Entries

Maybe you could show a clip or photo of the sort of thing you're trying to emulate. I can't really understand what you're after as you talked about filming in daylight with a blue filter. Standard car headlights will not show up at all well in daylight, especially if you start adding filters, and I can't understand when you say that your camcorder won't do what you want it to do at night.

What do you want it to do?

Have you got the camera set on auto iris ? This will cause the camera to keep trying to adjust the iris when the light levels change. Could this be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post

What do you want it to do?

Okay in a nutshell I am trying to find a way of showing how someone can set up their dipped beam on their car without using an expensive beam setter like what we use in a garage,...

Firstly the idea is that one can set markers on a wall and then use the points to re adjust lights as needed....all well and good but I also need to do a fair bit of explaining about the lights how the beam works so it doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic why its important for the MOT test etc etc,.. I am not happy with results I have at the moment..the lights at night is not good, also I'd like to get the shots looking well, bit more hollywood to keep the watchers attention so I can drive home ( excuse the pun) how important it actually is to have the correct beam on a car...

I'l dig out the shot of light on the wall if I didn't delete it. Right no, anyway I got rid of the shots, this song I want to use on the clip which sings about driving on the motorway, "The song sings about driving, "the fires won't go out"", all I ever see are your eyes",... All this I can get the idea of headlamps shining, light bulbs, eyes are headlamps. raising a glass compared to light bulbs....

also I want to show what a dirty window screen does when light is shone onto it from a vehicle when dark and how it can obscure vision ... song offers this opportunity,..

also there,... the guy sings about "eyes cut deeper into me than they'll ever cut into you" which gives a good opportunity to bring the light from a car right to fill the whole screen showing what happens if head lights are mal adjusted.

"All I ever see are your eyes",, again head lamps in the dark oncoming. etc

there is a phrase in the song to about 'wasted years' where I can introduce lamp corrosion and how it effects the beam intensity,...shots of poor beam direction,...water on the lens.

Phrase about being 'alone in the dark,.... driving faster and faster, faster to the price.... yet again more headlights on a secluded road..view from within car and outside etc etc

I'd like to get a technical aspect to this , entertaining without looking like a music video. watchable,...this would be an introduction to the how to set your bean correctly for the MOT which can be done in minutes. Hope this doesn't sound a bit far fetched???

Last edited by TFV; 07-06-2010 at 06:01 PM.