Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Capture preview very dark

1. Default Video Capture preview very dark

I wouls appreciate any help that may be out there please.
    I am using Sony Vegas Pro 8 and am capturing video through the Fire wire link using the Video capture feature that is part of Vegas.
    When capturing video, the image in the preview window is very dark, almost black. The image on the camcorder screen is bright and clear. When video capture is stopped the files captured show up in the preview screen below the capture window and are clear and bright.
    Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust the brightness of the capture preview window.
    I know that the captured files are ok but it is just annoying that the capture display is unviewable.

Thanks in anticipation
    Red kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

2. Default

So you have viewed the images outside of Vegas and they look ok? Like have you played the files back with something like windows media player?

3. Default

Hi bigben
    I can load the clips into vegas and play them and they are fine, couour and brightness ok. I know this sounds stupid but if I drag the capture preview screen right to the edge of the monitor, the preview becomes bright as it should be but as soon as I drag the preview back into the middle of the screen it goes dark and unwatchable again.
    This is the first time I have used Pro 8 to capture video, I had been using the cut down Platinum version of Vegas studio before this and I am wondering if the installation is corrupted in some way.
    regards Red kite
    Not enough time !!!

4. Default

I don't know vegas but I'm going to suggest this:

"if it aint broke don't fix it" If everything else works ok I don't see the need to spend time fixing it...

But anyway. Are you certain the centre of your monitor is not dark? have you tried playing a DVD in media player to test this?

If the DVD works then I cannot help I'm afraid. This bug is far out of my area of expertise

it couldn't hurt to download and install the latest video drivers. Maybe even reinstall the ones you have if they are current. It fixed a problem i had with green screen effects showing up in the preview window at one point.

Maby you can try to update to 9 Pro (try out version if you like) and test if this problem still is there when you loade the same projekt there.
    I agree with Vinnybags and Bigben, be sure that you monitor is ok and all drivers and codecs is updated.
    Ps/ Sorry for my bad spelling, I'm from Scandinavia but I do my best.
    Last edited by janneby; 07-04-2010 at 12:35 AM.

7. Default

Oh and if any of our suggested fixes has worked for you PLEASE do post back to say it has. That way if someone else comes along with the same bug, they will know what to do.

8. Default

Hi, I have found other problems with the captured files and so I have decided to remove Vegas and strt again with a clean install. Thanks for the suggestions, I will post again after I have reinstalled
    Thanks, Red Kite
    Not enough time !!!

9. Default

I have now reinstalled Vegas Pro, this has resolved my problem with the captured files but I still have the problem with the capture preview window. There was no problem with the same computer when using the Studio Platinum version and I am certain the monitor is not the problem. I can live with this as the rest of the program appears to be working correctly but it would be nice to resolve this niggle.

Red kite
    Not enough time !!!

Hi, thats fine that all works but it must be nagging to have a darker picture in the prewiv window.
    Have you checked the options for that. Options>Preferences>Preview device and check that?
    I dont know but I try to help.
    Ops, how I spell but I do my best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast