Thread: A basic mac book for SD film editing?

1. Question A basic mac book for SD film editing?

I have a SD mini DV camcorder, and I have been trying to edit home movies using my PC. However although my PC has firewire, I have been plagued by problems, the main one being that the quality of the captured film is quite poor. In fact I get better results copying direct to VHS using a scart lead !!

I've been thinking about buying a Mac laptop as I have heard that the quality of movie making with macs is superior than a PC. However I have a limited budget so I need to know the lowest spec Mac that I could buy to be able to edit SD movies and burn to DVD with decent results.

I was looking at a 2004 G4 Mac laptop but that does not have a DVD/RW so I don't think that it would be suitable. Would I be able to get away with buying a 2005/2006 Mac laptop or would I have to buy a more recent model? As long as it has a DVD/RW, Firewire and movie editing software I would be happy.

Any ideas please?!

2. Default

Let me quote something here for you:

"A good workman with bad tools will struggle to do a good job; a bad workman will do a bad job even with good tools - and probably damage them in the process!"

If you can't seem to competently produce a simple video via firewire on a PC how the hell do you expect to be able to use a mac?

3. Default

"If you can't seem to competently produce a simple video via firewire on a PC how the hell do you expect to be able to use a mac?" Says the moron who did not even know that you can record via Firewire to a pc.

I can produce films very well normally, just so happens that I have a connection problem with this particular pc.

If you have nothing positive to say, don't say anything at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haveaniceday View Post
    I have heard that the quality of movie making with macs is superior than a PC.
    What does that mean? The quality of the resultant films will be down to several things but none of them down to whether it was made on a PC or on a Mac.

If you mean the "experience" of making a movie on a Mac is better than on a PC, the experience of making a movie in Premiere is different from FCP is different from Sony Vegas is different from Pinnacle is different from Avid Liquid is different from iMovie is different from Windows Movie Maker is different from Magix Movie Maker is different from ..... you get my drift? It's largely down to personal taste and what you want/need to achieve.

If you can normally produce films very well, surely you'd do better sorting out your connection problems with the PC.

If you fancy a Mac for a change and want to treat yourself, that's a different issue, but the connection problems on your PC isn't really the excuse for it
    Tim

I can edit quite happily on a MacBookPro but obviously a desktop is nicer.

SD really doesn't need that much power.

Well, my opinion is that video editing is better on a mac than on pc.
    Especially when it comes to firewire, simply because firewire is an Apple protocol and it works better.
    Did it both, PC with adobe premiere (long time ago) and mac with final cut pro. And I don't wanna change back.. ever!!!

Mac is more stable, I never had the irritating moment that the software freezes while you just had an edit ready and have to start all over again.

But I also agree with others here who say that when the only problem is the firewire communication between PC and Cam, then it's probably better (and cheaper) to try and resolve that problem and stick with what you are used to.