Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with chopping up 4 hours of vid - total noob!

Default Need help with chopping up 4 hours of vid - total noob!

Hi guys

I'm in a real pickl at the moment. I've just been to Glastonbury Festival and got nearly 4 hours of video which i want to chop up into individual files but everything I have used is just too tedious or i haven't got a clue wtf to do.

I'm a total noob when it comes to video editing. I'm an amatuer photographer normally but have just decided to cross the border over into the video world and it's all a bit confusing

I've got myself Sony Vegas 9 but i'm having real trouble learning what to do and google searches aren't exactly helping me much.

Basically i want to load each 90 min length of video into a program and be able to select all the individual bits and then have them chopped up and saved individually all in one go... Is this even possible?
    Otherwise what is the other alternative?

Thanks,
    Richy

2. Default

Windows Movie Maker...

Drop in all your individual 4 hour clips and then drop them onto the timeline then start deleting stuff you do not want.

its not really a case of deleting what I don't want - I want everything... it's just i want every individual piece i shot within the larger 90min files as separate individual files... Surely there's a way to mark everything up and have it all saved as individual little chunks with a push of a button?

It just seems to time consuming otherwise

4. Default

Ok...let's pretend that I have painted a 50FT brick wall.

Then someone comes along and say's to me "can you break it up into separate pieces?"

I say "sure, but it's going to take a lot of time to break it up safely"

You have painted a 90min file...Now I am not sure in Vegas if this is possible but in Final cut express you can tell the imported tape footage:

"Divide segments via DV timecoding" which means that the 90 file splits into files that have different start and stop times depending on where you played the footage.
    Last edited by bigben654321; 07-02-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Blog Entries

1. Put your 90min film on the timeline.
    2. Drag to make a selection (or use "I" and "O" keys to set the in and out points) - you'll see a bar along the top of the timeline showing which bit of the video is included in the selection.
    3. File | Render As and make sure that the radio button "Render Selection only" is on.

This will render a new file containing only the selected portion.

Repeat for the next section to create the next file.

Note: This may take a long time. You will do this most efficiently if you ensure that the Project Properties = Destinaltion File Properties = Source Properties. If they are standard definition AVI and you've done the above, absolutely nor decoding/re-encoding will be needed and it'll be super quick. If you'r source is AVCHD and you render to some other format, be prepated to wait a long time.
    Tim

Thanks that seems alot simpler than ways i've previously been finding.

My source is mpeg although i have a fast computer so it shouldnt be too bad

Blog Entries

I suggest you try a very small selection first, with a number of different settings and compare quality, before attempting a whole set.
    Tim

Will do, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    2. Drag to make a selection (or use "I" and "O" keys to set the in and out points) - you'll see a bar along the top of the timeline showing which bit of the video is included in the selection.
    You could also open the clip using the Trimmer. Select the area you want via the above method and instead of rendering it out right click on the section and Create Sub-clip.

This will let you create smaller segments of the video, naming them what you want, that you can then drag from Project Media down to the timeline without all the time of rendering them out individually.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kylania View Post
    ...Create Sub-clip.

This will let you create smaller segments of the video, naming them what you want, that you can then drag from Project Media down to the timeline without all the time of rendering them out individually.
    True... but you're only really creating a definition of a sub-clip - something which is accessible from within Vegas. The "sub-clip" does not exist as a video file anywhere.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast