Thread: "Help my gadget is not working"

1. Default "Help my gadget is not working"

Please delete this thread
    Last edited by bigben654321; 07-18-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigben654321 View Post

I hope this is helpful!
    I doubt it, BigBen

I admire your intention in posting this and the work you've put into it, but type of person who would read that post and apply it to his or her own situation is the sort of person who has already done all that.

The person you describe at the beginning of your helpful guide is just going to post his question on a forum anyway
    Tim

3. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I doubt it, BigBen
    The person you describe at the beginning of your helpful guide is just going to post his question on a forum anyway
    True...but they have to learn it somewhere.

I find that some of the Forum's most helpful postings either become part of the FAQs, or become sticky; or are included as links in other responses.

Many IT queries can indeed be answered by RTFM, or by contacting the vendor's or manufacturer's support systems, or simply Googling the question. Understandably it is often simpler to phone an 'IT helpdesk' or to turn and ask the nearest person. For many, the nearest person is an Internet Forum visited by knowledgable contributors.
    Whether responses are made because contributors want to exercise their knowledge or altruistm, they are under no obligation to respond to queries, or even to give good advice!

Although I see the 'my gadget is not working' queries; perhaps a more common question is "how do I convert filetype X into filetype Y"; and "what is the best setting for saving my video onto device Z".
    I suspect that a well worded post which covered the above questions would be very useful URL. Indeed, a helpful FAQ or two.

It may be a good way to reduce the idiotic (and almost robotic) responses such as 'use this program, cos it works really well' which include links to Video Converter software which often include unwanted bundled applications, malware and inproperly licenced (and perhaps sub-standard) code.

Netiquette has changed alot since I joined the internet around 1996. Expecting visitors to read the forum for a few weeks before making their first post is no longer practiced. And opportunities for training new Users to make enquiries in prescribed formats is almost impossible. However, offering links to FAQs and pertinent posts can save even the strongest altruist on their path to nirvana.

In the old days we had to do the above or as a service engineer take a logical approach (like a doctor), look at the symptoms and then try an eliminate the obvious, leading to a diagnosis. I still use it now, which is what I rarely ask questions on the forums.

my God my laptop is allowing me to write messages on the forums again, oh bliss, sorry I have been absent.... IE8 plug in was casuing the problem, I think, I reset it back to sqaure one.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    my God my laptop is allowing me to write messages on the forums again, oh bliss, sorry I have been absent.... IE8 plug in was casuing the problem, I think, I reset it back to sqaure one.
    Hurrah!

@TimAndrews Yeah, it is a challenge.

I think the reason why no one has written a faq that deals with converting file type X to file type Y is because there are oh sooo many different file types:

Video File Formats

Now you could try to cover off the most commonly used ones but then you have to account for the number of possibile variations in device, OS and editing software.

I simply wrote the above guide because I thought "there is a gap for this here, I'm going to write it on the fourms because I think it is helpful to a percentage who come here"

However if someone feels the sudden spout of inspiration to write a clear and concise guide to all the commonly used file formats and which coverters and which settings to use to deliver them to different forms of media. Go right ahead!

I don't think the formats matter, it is the approach you take to find the answer is the key.

The main issue seems to be the lack of, or very little, if any knowledge at all of what they they are trying to do. Add that to the little information they then give is to help solve the problem, sometimes the wrong information leading to a goose chase.

The other issue is the lack of communication skills some have in putting in writing what is in their head ( I have this problem, i think faster then I can type correctly)

There is also the , "I must have the answer now and cannot be bothered to find the answer, let some one else do it for me.", one of the reasons I do not reply to all posts as some have answers that my young son with a little bit of reasearch could find out.