Thread: best choice for storing high quantity HD footage?

Default best choice for storing high quantity HD footage?

hey all, just wondering about what is typically done for storing all raw HD footage. do people even keep it? i want to keep everything and i have about 5 to 10 hours worth. my question is two things really:

A) what should i convert to/with in order to conserve on hdd space (most of what i have is all 30 FPS on highest quality setting shot with Canon Vixia HG20)

B)should my choice be any different if i am yet to edit in FCP? a lot i still need to go through and put together in various projects, but until then, i'm still shooting and need to conserve space!

thank you VERY MUCH for any help.. i'm still such a newbie :S

-McFly

To be honest I always keep the original format for my achieving yes this can take up a lot of space but the cost of storage is relativity cheap these days. You need to get an external HHD or put them on tape.

wow.. really? won't be cheap for me! i've already consumed over 500GB and that's just from 2 events.. sheesh! there's still so much more to come. i need a few dozen TB or what?

i've been transferring via Final Cut Pro... my scratch disk is getting loaded quick.

4. Default

Add storage to the price you charge for your video and work out the file size you will use up for a project then charge for it appropriately...

I.e 2 hours of footage = 300GB

So buy Platinum103401 Mydrive 320GB USB Portable External Hard: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

If people expect to do things in HD properly they should expect the price to leap up to the rooftops compared to doing it in SD...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigben654321 View Post
    If people expect to do things in HD properly they should expect the price to leap up to the rooftops compared to doing it in SD...
    Hold on a tick. What am I missing? The OP was asking about his raw footage - presumably what comes from the camera.
    I thought AVCHD records at up to 24Mbps and HDV 25Mbps - the same as Standard Def. Indeed the HG20 does record at 25Mbps

So the space required top store the raw footage should be slightly less than the equivalent in Standard Def- about 13GB per hour.

Or am I missing something?
    Tim

maybe i misspoke, err.. miss-typed.. what i meant by raw is that it is yet all yet to be edited, full files. the file types are .mov.

i've logged/transferred via final cut pro and now just have everything sitting on my 1TB drive... which i thought would be an ok amount.. but i guess not!

Blog Entries

As far as I can tell, the files out of the HG20 are m2ts, therefore you must have converted them to mov. The conversion cannot have added anything to the original image so you can always do that again.
    If space is your prime concern, archive the files as the m2ts files.
    If you want to have the movs immediately available for editing then you're just going to have to bite the bullet and buy a few more TB I guess.
    Tim