Thread: 2 problems with my SONY DCR HC 32

Default 2 problems with my SONY DCR HC 32

so i have had this camcorder since spring 2006. and now has problems obviously

1) The touch screen is not functioning anymore but comes on on occasion. Any fixes or is it broken

2)My borrows my camera occasionally for work which i dont care but a couple weeks ago its tapped up with a whole piece chipped off and didnt tell me about it and still has not. He treats it like crap and throws it in a big bag cloth bag and hangs very low.

Can i adhesive the piece back on ?

1) I think the screen is connected to the camera body using a ribbon connection. Perhaps its intermittent fault is due to that connection becoming loose. I assume you would need a screwdriver to open up the casing.

2) The reliability of using adhesive to repair electrical goods may depend on exactly *what* has fractured.

Given the age of the camera and the likely high costs of repair by Sony, I would be inclined to ask the borrower for some compensation; but be aware that the resale value of that model may not be very high. Given that the damage was accidental, it may be worth considering whether in future it may be useful to take out Insurance.

However, if you feel a pugnatious solution is preferable, you could threaten to put the borrower in a bag and knock a chunk off them

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    1)
    However, if you feel a pugnatious solution is preferable, you could threaten to put the borrower in a bag and knock a chunk off them
    Whilst I am sure physical violence may appeal to some I would advise you not to engage in that particular course of action personally. May I suggest hiring a...trained person to do this.

Just walk into any bar, find the biggest looking chap and have a chat with him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    1) I think the screen is connected to the camera body using a ribbon connection. Perhaps its intermittent fault is due to that connection becoming loose. I assume you would need a screwdriver to open up the casing.

2) The reliability of using adhesive to repair electrical goods may depend on exactly *what* has fractured.

Given the age of the camera and the likely high costs of repair by Sony, I would be inclined to ask the borrower for some compensation; but be aware that the resale value of that model may not be very high. Given that the damage was accidental, it may be worth considering whether in future it may be useful to take out Insurance.

yea im not trying to sell it and i dont think sending it to sony is really worth it.IM sure the warranty is up by now.
    Is there any sort of diagram walkthrough how to take the touchscreen apart?

And its such a little chip in the corner caused by my dad lol

I don't know whether a repair manual is publicly available.

This Google search shows a few similar cams having been opened.
    "SONY DCR" replace screen - Google Search
    I suspect the screen and the cam's side cover can be *carefully* removed with a few screws. This picture shows the ribbon connection (the wide brown strip).
    Sony DCR-HC19E Handycam LCD Repair (black screen) | Insert name here

or maybe:
    My Fix Tips How to replace a broken LCD screen for Sony DCR-H26 camcorder

Please be aware. I have never done it. I am not professionally trained in this area. The above suggestions are only my guess!