Thread: Moving Yet Fixed Text?!

Question Moving Yet Fixed Text?!

Hi guys, tried to search for an answer to this question but i don't know what the 'technique' is called so i couldn't find it. Apologies if it has been asked before.

I want to fix a line of text to a certain reference point in a video but as the video moves (eg a pan), have the text move smoothly with it so that it remains fixed to the reference point in the video as it moves across the screen. As you can see i'm relatively new to all this so i'm probably using the wrong terminology. Hope my question makes sense.

I've seen it done in a few films and TV programs like Zombieland, The Losers and even hollyoaks (so it can't be that hard to do ).

I know i can zoom down to frame by frame in Vegas and do it manually with loads of tiny text boxes every couple of frames. I had a very quick go and it seems to work ok if you have a very obvious reference point within the video that you want to fix it too. But obviously it would take ages to do that properly so i just wanted to ask you guys if there was an easier way to do it first?

Quote Originally Posted by ceej View Post
    I know i ...do it manually with loads of tiny text boxes every couple of frames. I had a very quick go . . . if there was an easier way to do it first?
    STOP!!!! - And yes there is . . "Track Motion" is one way. You actually "Move" the Text Event in relationship with the movie - great fun! Or Text "Placement", this allows you to place text at any given point. Personal preference? Track motion.

Please don't make loadsa single Frame Text events - horrible and the way of madness! - You were correct, there IS a better way.

Hi Ceej! Welcome to the forums.

I believe this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVTN5v_ghs&feature=channel]keyframing tutorial[/ame] covers the effect you're looking for?

Y'know I watched that video and studied very carefully, just how it was done. IMO - STOP . . don't do it that way.

He was using Text properties or Pan/Crop to sync the Text to the Chequer squares. He, had what, 6 lumps of text to then sync to the squares? Nuh-uh . . .

This is the way I did it in 2 minutes:-

1] Put Chequer on lowest track

2] Put Text on upper tracks.

3] YES use PAN/Crop or text placement to align into squares - to start with . . but then ......

Use Parent Motion to make use of the Sync options throughout. This chap was using P/C to then sync . . no.

And what is really sad, for me, is that this demonstrates a lack of knowledge, to understand the tools at hand, but inviting/advising people to spend much time in carrying out an approach that is straightforward using Parent Track Motion.

Oh, and BTW, once setup I can twist and spring into 3-D space - like to see him do that using the approach outlined?

But here's the REAL thing that gets my goat and concerned: Putting forward these options, in this way, would make people think that to go even further would be far too hard, when, in the actual case, is that in Parent Tack Motion it is a simple and fun task to do.

Please, please notice how the guy is needing to sync the text movement WITH the twisting Chequer tiles? No way Jose!

I like the creative use of Lighting and Bump Map - sure . . but the fundamental approach has lost options and a fluid ability to make changes.

Thankyou both for your replies, and a friendly welcome for a 'noob'

I'm glad i asked before i went down the crazy manual route! I knew there must be a way of doing it, but because i didn't know what it was called, trying to search for how to do it was hard. So thanks again for the advice.

I'm at work on a slow laptop right now so i'll have a little research on keyframing and parent track motion today, then give it a try tonight. I'll let you know how i get on

If i create equally spaced keyframes and move the text into position at each keyframe using track motion in vegas, does it 'animate' the movement between 2 keyframes, or will it just move it abrubtly to the new position when it hits the new keyframe?

I'm not sure how to use parent motion, particularly because i can only get my text to appear over my video if it is 'above' the video track on the timeline, which means i can't make the video the parent. Even if i did, how would i get it to control the motion of the text track?

You don't add ANY motion to ANY Text Event Track. You make ALL the Generated Media - Text and Chequerboard - Children of an EMPTY Top Level Track. It is this Parent Track you then apply motion to using the Parent Motion Control.

If you are moving Text on its own track, then I must not have explained myself well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    You don't add ANY motion to ANY Text Event Track. You make ALL the Generated Media - Text and Chequerboard - Children of an EMPTY Top Level Track. It is this Parent Track you then apply motion to using the Parent Motion Control.

If you are moving Text on its own track, then I must not have explained myself well enough.
    But wouldn't that move the video file around as well? I want to move the text along with movement within the video track.

For example, if the video is a moving shot of a skyline, i want the text to stay on top of one particular building, but the building is moving as the camera pans. So i want the text to move with it so that it is always in the same place in relation the building, even though the building is moving within the video.

Hope that makes sense. From what very little i understand about parent motion, if an empty top level track is controlling the motion of my video track then the video track will be moving around the 'screen' too?

So, if I'm reading this right you'd have say 4 video tracks:

Track 1: Empty
    Track 2: Text Media
    Track 3: Whatever generated media you wanted to move along with the Text
    Track 4: Your video

Track 2 and 3 would be Children of Track 1. You'd use the "Parent Motion" window (little icon just under the minimize/maximize track icons) to set the motion of Track 1 (which would end up moving Tracks 1-3). That way your text and other media would move but your footage wouldn't, allowing you to track across the footage without affecting it.

Correct? This is the first I've tried to mess with Parent/Child stuff. Seems really nice if you have multiple bits of media you wanted to move together!

I was purely responding to the Video that was put forward.

In your example Track4 would be obscured by the solid Checkerboard GenMed.