Thread: Don't you just hate it when...

Blog Entries

Default Don't you just hate it when...

After three hefty weeks on location, I decided to relax at home by doing an "engineering project" over the weekend. Making a shoulder support for my Canon XH A1 which I have difficulty holding at eye-height.

So, research on the internet, looking at all sorts of makes and models. make a couple of mock-ups which don't work all that well. Order bits and bobs, get aluminium plate and formed metal. Order stuff from my local rental house who don't listen when I say "this is private, there's no rush" and courier a 50 piece of kit for 80.
    Buy new drill bits, pop riveter and saws. Spend all weekend drilling, screwing, sawing and sweating to make a Heath-Robinson shoulder rig for my camcorder.

This morning, whilst I'm admiring my handiwork, the misses walks into the gear room, picks up the XH A1, opens the Bolex box, takes out the pistol grip, screws it to the Canon and walks out.

WTF?

She's out to do some "B" Roll for her current documentary when her perplexed husband (me) asks what's going on and grabs the camcorder and examines her solution to the problem.

The pistol grip fits perfectly in the hand, is nicely balanced with the XH A1 and works a lot better than my expensive rig which has taken me all weekend to construct.

Don't ya just hate it when things like that happen?
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-28-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    and works a lot better than my expensive rig which has taken me all weekend to construct.
    This says a lot about you, Gaffer, and I admire you for it.

I, and I suspect many of us here, would have spent the next 24 hours inventing all sorts of reasons why the expensive homebrew solution is better.

Mister, you're a better man than I.
    Tim

3. Default

I think I know your feeling aboat this. I have experienced it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    She's out to do some "B" Roll for her current documentary when her perplexed husband (me) asks what's going on and grabs the camcorder and examines her solution to the problem. The pistol grip fits perfectly in the hand, is nicely balanced with the XH A1 and works a lot better than my expensive rig which has taken me all weekend to construct.
    Don't ya just hate it when things like that happen?
    Gaffer,
    It just goes to prove that the wife is always right (at least, that's what mine is always telling me).