Thread: Question about bad quality with green screen

Smile Question about bad quality with green screen

When I tried the green screen effect by placing a picture as the background I noticed that the edges of the person being filmed were fuzzy and not clear. No tripod was used in the shot and the lighting was pretty good.

What could have caused this and what could I di next time to make sure that the outlines of a person are smooth when using the green screen technique?

thank you for your support

Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by dorian86 View Post
    When I tried the green screen effect by placing a picture as the background I noticed that the edges of the person being filmed were fuzzy and not clear. No tripod was used in the shot and the lighting was pretty good.

What could have caused this and what could I di next time to make sure that the outlines of a person are smooth when using the green screen technique?

thank you for your support

Dorian
    Without seeing your video I can only give you the theoretical causes. Most all consumer-grade video cameras, and even many pro-summer grades, use 411 compression. Put simply, the color information of the image is greatly compressed to minimize image bandwidth. This causes edges around keyed objects because the keyer does not have the full color information necessary for a clean key. The other typical cause is improper lighting of the green screen (uneven) and/or reflected green spill on the keyed object. The latter is avoided by making sure the keyed object is far enough away from the green screen background.

What worddigger said...

Make sure your lighting is good (no shadows on the green screen and equal lighting).
    Put your object further away to avoid spill.

And use After Effects for keying...
    The keylight option in After Effects is great.
    Many options with that effect and good spill supression. Something you REALLY need when using consumer cams.