Thread: why is rendered file so large?

Default why is rendered file so large?

Hello, I am working on my first video, new to the whole process, and unsure as to why I am getting the results that I am. I have made a video from about 50 pictures, which fade into each other, and on top of each of them is a title, that fades in and out, not at the same time as the videos fade. There are 4 layers of audio tracks that were originally in mp3 format. The entire video is only 7 minutes long, but when rendered to .avi it is 15 GB. for only 7 minutes! I know .avi files are large, but this is gi-normous for only a 7 minute video. (isn't it?)

Using Sony Vegas 9
    Project settings:
    field order -none
    pixel aspect ratio 1.0000 square
    full resolution rendering quality- best
    deinterlace method- none

Audio 44100
    bit depth 16
    resample and stretch quality- best

I rendered it first in .avi just so I would have it at high quality, and it shows great on Windows Media Player on my own computer. However, that size is way too big to deal with as far as sharing the file, and when I try to encode it to .wmv or .mp4 or .flv the quality is so bad it's unusable.

Question 1- why is the original file so big? Is it the cross-fading?
    Question 2- how do I get it into a format that can be used online without losing so much quality that it looks fractured?

Thank you ever so much for your kind help.

The .AVI file is uncompressed which means it's going to be big but good quality. If you want a smaller file size try a MPEG2 template keep the bit rate around 8Mb to keep the quality good.

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Blue. I know that an .avi file is large. However, this file seems to be very large. It is only 7 minutes long, and it is 15 Gb. In a related post I found on this forum, Mark W. said, "A 6min avi should be around 1.3gig" . That made sense to me, and was what I was expecting. So, if that is the case, then why is my 7 min avi around 15 gig, instead of, say, 1.5-2 gig? What is making it so large? Any ideas about why it is extra big?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJana View Post
    I know that an .avi file is large.
    Compared to what? Did you also know that you can get many sizes of AVI? Why is this? It is because an AVI is only a Wrapper, an Envelope, a Box in which to stuff your rendered material. But HOW you render or rather with WHAT CODEC you render will determine many things - and here that would result in size.

I can create an AVI of massive size or of little size. It purely is dependent on the CODEC I use AND the settings I choose to use FOR that CODEC.

Check this out for yourself. Prepare a file for rendering in Vegas. Set the "Save as type" to the Video for Windows (VfW). Now Click on the down arrow and scroll through the many "Template" options. Do you see them? And each and every "Template" will use a different CODEC setup and some will have variations on that CODEC, and will be seen as versions of that Template - but it is the CODEC inside of that Template that will be doing the work.

If you have selected "Uncompressed" then again find the Video Tab and then the "Video format" and again scroll through them - there are loads of them and some even allow us to further alter their CODEC settings - others not. I have DivX CODEC installed and I can then go further into the DivX CODEC settings and make use of those settings, if I wish(!).

So I believe as has been said, you appear to have used the default "Uncompressed" Template option. And being Uncompressed you are getting no reduction in file size. You are needing to become aware of the valuable options that selecting the appropriate CODEC and settings for your render can do for your workflow and thence your output.

Here is my workflow:

1] Edit in the nearest format to that of the captured footage.

2] Render in the same Format as the footage for archival and pre-prepare for further rendering to delivery format.

3] Use the Archival pre-prepare file in the delivery format for final rendering TO that delivery format.

That's what I do. Now if I have a "need" to render to uncompressed, and there are few times I need too, then that's what I do, generally and those of us here abouts follow the 3 options above. Yes, you CAN miss out step 2] and go straight to 3], but dealing with clients and so on, I always save an archival file of the nearest to the captured format.

Here is another sample. I can create an MPEG2 for prep to buring a DVD. But within that MPEG is the Mainconcept CODEC and that allows for many MANY options to alter not only the bitrates and so on but elegant options that I have NO idea about! And again, this is done through the CODEC, and I can get a LARGE MPEG or a SMALL MPEG, resulting in greater or less quality, which is very important as DVDs only allow 4.7GB of storage. So, one file type - MPEG - but a whole range of sizes. AVI, MPEG, MOV, MP4 or WMV are all types of video "envelopes" - they can hide what is inside them, and THAT complexity and subsequent misunderstanding takes up most of the queries here on the Forum.

You asked a great question, and one that will be asked many times in the future too. I just need to remember my reply, and make a link to it - next time around.

. . . . .
    Last edited by Grazie; 06-21-2010 at 05:25 AM.

5. Default

Last edited by bigben654321; 07-13-2010 at 08:50 PM.

I just did a little experiment. I took a 10 second piece of media and put it on the time line. I rendered this with the avi HD template. The resulting file size was 3.6 Gb for 10 seconds.
    I then rendered the same 10 seconds of media as an .avi with the standard DV template and got a file size of 306888Kb. This should give you an idea that there is no such thing as normal.

There are so many variables when rendering a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    There are so many variables when rendering a video.
    While I may agree with the sentiment, that doesn't really assist when attempting to find a way through the maze of options.

Better would be something along the lines of: Use the tool for the job - and then go ahead and list them.

Tool1] Archiving and client additional cutting, render to the captured format

Tool2] Confirm the publication/platform (Youtube/DVD/Emailing/iPhone or cells) and render to that final delivery format.

And that's about it really. Let the workflow be dictated by the outcome being sought. Don't allow the workflow dictate the outcome. And, I would have thought, this makes the selection of what rendering process is required that much easier.

Use the tool for the job in hand. If you need to know what that tool could be, then ask - I still do! There are plenty helpful hands out in INTERNET-land to assist.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Let the workflow be dictated by the outcome being sought.
    Amen to that. So long as one understands that asking "what format is best for YouTube" will result in 20 different answers from 10 different people