Thread: "Back Down" - A short film shot on the 550D/T2i

Default "Back Down" - A short film shot on the 550D/T2i

This is a short film, following the journey of a young girl walking "back down" a steep bank.

This was more a test to see what the camera was capable of producing more than anything else, but the final film worked fairly well as a continuity sequence.

Shot on a 550D/T2i at Macclesfield Forest on a rare sunny day in Britain. Every shot used the 50mm f1.8 lens.

Actress:
    My lovely girlfriend, Jenny Poppitt

Hope you guys enjoy it

[ame=http://vimeo.com/12656522]Back Down - A short 550D/T2i Test on Vimeo[/ame]

Blog Entries

Some very nice compositions there Sam I particularly like the way you used the camera's limited depth of field. The pictures were rock-steady which, in this video, was essential and it was a good choice of music.

I liked it a lot.

Some very nice compositions there Sam I particularly like the way you used the camera's limited depth of field. The pictures were rock-steady which, in this video, was essential and it was a good choice of music.

I liked it a lot.
    Cheers Despite HD-DSLRs having a fair few restrictions, the limited DoF really does make the visuals look dead impressive

Blog Entries

The point you made about DSLR cameras is a good one. Too many people either ignore the problems which some DSLRs have or fixate on them. Once you know about the "wobble" for example, you adjust your shooting style accordingly, in your case by locking-off the shots. In the same way focus issues when recording, I liked the way you kept the focus close on some shots and resisted the temptation to shift the focus to the subject.

I'm still waiting for Nikon to bring out a full-frame affordable DSLR (I've got far too many Nikon lenses to move to canon) and I'll be at the front of the queue.

Like Gaffer said nice shots that are rock solid steady. Not sure about the speed change at around 30 seconds. If it had slowed down more gradually I think it would have worked better. I understand this was more of a test of the camera but you did a good job with it.

Well done Sam.

Thanks for the kind words, it's really encouraging. I didn't even set out to make a film, I just went up leisurely with the girlfriend, and wanted to take pictures. Decided it seemed almost a waste not to do any filming whilst I was there...!

I didn't have a tripod either, so all the shots were set on various rocks I could find (probably why all the shots were "rock-steady"!), but it was fairly limiting. I wouldn't mind bringing a proper Manfrotto with me next time and using a fluid head for some nicer pans and the like.

Blog Entries

Surprisingly watchable - given the uninspiring synopsis. It shows how little you actually need in the way of a narrative when it comes together well, I was just happy to watch the girl on her journey and wonder where it might take her.
    Some really nice shots.
    I also liked the intrigue that you generated by not showing Jenny's face.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Surprisingly watchable - given the uninspiring synopsis. It shows how little you actually need in the way of a narrative when it comes together well, I was just happy to watch the girl on her journey and wonder where it might take her.
    Some really nice shots.
    I also liked the intrigue that you generated by not showing Jenny's face.
    Really glad you enjoyed it Tim. The synopsis was taken straight from the video's description on Vimeo, and to be honest, I wanted to demonstrate what the camera was capable of more than anything else! But I'm glad it came across nicely to you, it seemed to work well in the edit