Thread: ABS - Roly Poly - An Animated Music Video

Default ABS - Roly Poly - An Animated Music Video

"A music video for a two-week challenge with Fazeley Studios in Birmingham called 2 Weeks 2 Make It.

It consisted of working with a band that may seem unconventional to an audience, and working outside the box to create something unlike anything else.

Initially, the film was shot in front of a greenscreen on a Canon 550D. Individual frames were then removed, cut out and the border added. From there on, each frame was hand-designed in Adobe Photoshop and scenes were split between each member of the team; a painstaking process."

It was a nightmare to create, but it seemed to get a great response from the panel of judges from the competition, and was a massive learning curve. Really hope you guys like it, it was fun to make and the finished product seems to be really rewarding!

2. Default

Well it was certainly original!
    I've not seen anything quite like that before, & I guess with music videos that's what it's all about ie: constantly coming up with something new to capture the public's jaded attention in order to help sell the song.
    Which makes me question the validity of the music video when they're only really a fashion accessory for the song.
    Whether it was worth all the effort depends either on how much you got paid for it, or how proud you are of what you created.

I'd be proud of it.

Sarah

Animation is not my area but I think you did a great job. Not sure about the song but the video had some good ideas and looks well made.

Default Looks good

I'm curious why you went with the wood panel background. I'm trying to vision how it would have looked if the animation filled the screen. Also, how much coverage did you get, shot wise, because it would be cool to see different camera angles as well. Just an idea if you guys try this technique again. It looks good, the swimming sequence was a nice touch.

Hey guys, cheers for the feedback!

I'm curious why you went with the wood panel background. I'm trying to vision how it would have looked if the animation filled the screen. Also, how much coverage did you get, shot wise, because it would be cool to see different camera angles as well. Just an idea if you guys try this technique again. It looks good, the swimming sequence was a nice touch.
    We actually shot for an entirely different idea...! We were going to put the girl in a sort of "notebook" area, where she interacted with the environment around her. She was actually shot on a greenscreen (the images of her are actually just screengrabs from 1080p footage!). Unfortunately, for the film to look really good, we would have required a LOT more time than just two weeks, so we had to resort to another idea. This was horrible, since I'm a bit of a newbie to Photoshop (give me FCP or Motion any day!), but my girlfriend did a great deal of the frame-by-frame animation, and I just helped out where I could. I ended up doing the underwater scene. Thanks for your comments!

I've not seen anything quite like that before, & I guess with music videos that's what it's all about ie: constantly coming up with something new to capture the public's jaded attention in order to help sell the song.
    We wanted to go for something massively unique - and it looks like we got what we wanted! We didn't win, unfortunately, but the judges spoke highly of our work; and with a little more polishing, they said it would have been winning quality!

Animation is not my area but I think you did a great job. Not sure about the song but the video had some good ideas and looks well made.
    Thank you! Animation isn't mine either, but it was pretty fun to make. Although, give me live-action over animation any day! Good to get outside my comfort zone, mind!