Thread: Newbie Looking for Help

Default Newbie Looking for Help

Hi my names Jonny and I am looking for what software would fit my needs best as to what I'm looking to do. I plan on recording sessions of me playing video games and I would like to know what software wold you guys reccommend? I have heard that I should try CyberLink PowerDirector and Sony Vegas Pro 9 But SOny is out of my pice range and I looked on Sony's website and seen they had other versions and other types but from the reviews it seems like CyberLink is better? I know it seems like a lot to ask but I am completely new and any info would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Jonny

2. Default

Last edited by bigben654321; 07-13-2010 at 09:37 PM.

I've been using Vegas from Vegas3 right up to the latest version VegasPro9 - that's like 8 years - and I have have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Or if you have asked a question related to using Vegas at all.

Yah got me mixed-up.

. . . . .

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I've been using Vegas from Vegas3 right up to the latest version VegasPro9 - that's like 8 years - and I have have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Or if you have asked a question related to using Vegas at all.

Yah got me mixed-up.

. . . . .
    Yeah what I meant was they have other editing programs like Movie Studio HD and I was looking at PowerDirector and it is around the same price but it seems like PowerDirector would be better. Also the reason I was interested in PowerDirector was becasue it says it can turn regular footage into HD. I have been using Windows Movie Maker but I am trying to find something with more effects and transitions other than the very simple things in Windows Movie Maker. Thanks for the Help as it has denfinetly helped me out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyC View Post
    Also the reason I was interested in PowerDirector was becasue it says it can turn regular footage into HD.
    Whoa! Nothing can turn regular (Standard Def) footage into HD. It may well be able to produce output in an HD format, but it's can't actually provide the pixels which are missing from the source material.
    If you are recording video games, it's the software and the settings you capture your images in rather than your video editing program which will determine the resolution of your source material.
    My limited understanding from what I've read here is that a popular program for capturing gameplay - fraps - is capable of capturing at higher than normal HD video resolution.
    All you need is an NLE which will handle it.
    Tim

7. Default

Default Best fit Software

Jonny. Did you ever decide on the best software you wanted to use?

I am new to video editing and am looking for somthing that i can use to retain quality while trying to maintain a reasonable file size.

I want to backup my DVD's to my PC and stream them through my playstation.
    I use Windows 7 X64 Pro.
    I have a TV card and use windows Media Center to capture the Video. I have purchased a WTV to Mpeg4 converter & use DVD decryptor to rip my movies.

All i want to do is remove the ads from my TV captures, Do some basic family stuff from the Cam corder. Backup and Render my DVD's throught the PS3.

I don't have the time to spend hours and hours mucking around with Video and Audio. Overlays ect... I just want the basics with the power to output to all the standard extension like .avi .mpg .mpeg .dvx ect...

I don't mind paying for the software if it's good. Please somone point me in a good dirction...
    Thanks guys.

9. Default

Last edited by bigben654321; 07-13-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Windows Movie Maker will definitely get the job done for simple projects.

If you're ready to make the move to slightly more complex and fully featured work I'd highly suggest Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 9. It's only $45 and has some amazing features for that price. You'll really improve your videos and start learning some of the features of more pricey programs.