Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riverfront Fun

Default Riverfront Fun

OK, so my first posting here didn't go good at all. However, I did get SOME info out of it, such as I need to work on holding the camera steady while walking.. Granted the places I go to (abandonments) have random holes that you can fall in as well as TONS of crap to trip on. So, you REALLY got to watch your step more than anything but I will work on steadiness. ALL of my footage is taken while exploring. I love these places, and the footage is 2nd to just hangin out and drinkin some roof top beers.

With that said, this next clip was taken while we partied at the Detroit River (American side). After lots, and lots of roof top beers, we went to our usual river spot and drank some more.
    Next thing we know a HUGE ship comes to dock at the re-fueling station right next to us.

I did this sort of a time-lapse style, but included other footage to show the surroundings a little more. I really like how it flows with the music.

Aww Ship <--- Click There!

Now for your opinions / suggestions, ALL helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Remember, I am FAR from professional and shoot video while I have my fun but I will work on walking without bouncing the camera as well as trying to tell more of whats going on in my own style.

I'm really sorry, I just don't get what your trying to communicate with your video. Could you expand on what you are trying to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm really sorry, I just don't get what your trying to communicate with your video. Could you expand on what you are trying to produce.
    I am not trying to communicate at all. Just piecing some clips from good times to mix with some music. More or less, just attempting to produce an enjoyable video. Like I said above, the footage is taken 2nd to me having my fun. My videos are simply bi-products of our partying.

There is no real purpose to this clip. There is no story line. There are no hidden messages, just good music with some video to follow along with it.

Blog Entries

i haven't had a chance to look at your videos yes, but from what you say, I would suggest you consider shooting these from a love first person perspective, with mocked cctv cutaways.

The easiest way to do this would be using one or two bullet cams attached to your head and chest. These nornally give pretty stable footage, and really put the vuewer at the heart of the action. You also don't have to think about filming. Then, one you've had fun, spend 30 mins filming the cutaways from different vantage points.

Just a thought. Will look at your videos when i get a chance!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    i haven't had a chance to look at your videos yes, but from what you say, I would suggest you consider shooting these from a love first person perspective, with mocked cctv cutaways.

The easiest way to do this would be using one or two bullet cams attached to your head and chest. These nornally give pretty stable footage, and really put the vuewer at the heart of the action. You also don't have to think about filming. Then, one you've had fun, spend 30 mins filming the cutaways from different vantage points.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I do plan to work on my camera skills. I will concentrate on more of what the camera is seeing as opposed to "exploring".. It is a really interesting hobby that I will probably do forever, and it will probably ALWAYS be more of a hobby with video clips on the side..

I don't plan to buy anymore equipment. My still camera fell over on the tripod on an abandoned boat so it is broken. I found a replacement (refurbished) of the same model for $50 so I plan to save for that. My budget is very tight these days, but I am hoping to get some extra work soon.

Will look at your videos when i get a chance!
    I would definately appreciate that. Any suggestions and / or ideas to help me improve would be great. I am open to ideas.

Blog Entries

Most of us here are hobbyists, and many of us have zero budget so you're far from alone. But I do think that many of us are struggling to see what you are trying to achieve.

This is great!

You may be streaks ahead of the rest of us or maybe not. Who knows?
    Tim

Blog Entries

I had a quick look at a few of your videos. I like your idea of documenting urban exploration, particularly urban dereliction. You sound like you're enjoying creating your videos, and it's secondary to what you're doing. But I think that's as far as you're going to take these videos unless you develop your camera skills, and spend much more time editing.

Derelict buildings scream out for a multitude of filming opportunities. As it stands, it's unlikely that even people interested in urban exploration would watch. Which is a shame. As I say, if you develop your camera skills, get inspiration from watching other videos, and spend much more time in the edit, your piece something far more watcheable.

Blog Entries

Here's an example of perhaps the opposite extreme (all art and no substance):

Blog Entries

Here's an example of perhaps the opposite extreme
    Two "glide track" vids in one month! Just like busses.

(all art and no substance):
    ....and very watchable.
    Tim

Thanks for the above critique!
    I wish I had both a HD cam as well as a computer that is actually able to process and edit the HD video that they take.. A HUGE investment of money for that and I do feel that I should work on my skills - especially camera handling - first.. Also, I need to work on using the camera in full manual mode. It is nice to get an idea of where I am at from different perspectives, which is why I took the time to post.

The video that you say is an extreme opposite seems to lack more to me.. Perhaps I am just biased because one of them are mine! LOL

I think I use the music to draw / keep attention but that won't help if the person viewing doesn't like the music.

I usually get the video clips together in premiere pro cs4 then go through different songs that are close to the length that I will need. Then I edit the clips as far as cutting, speed, and use minimal transitions (I know those can be overused!)..

Perhaps there is a different way to "put things together" that will help me think on more of a story line that someone could suggest?? I am not a real fan of narration at all. Videos that do a lot of talking tend to lose my interest..

Sorry if I rambled.. I thought I should give more information on how I piece this together so that maybe I could get different techniques and ideas from everyone.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast