Thread: Want to burn SVCD's

Default Want to burn SVCD's

My Dell has DVD and CD burner. I learnt SVCD is an excellent format for short videos friends can see via their DVD players and TV sets. I am too mean to use a whole DVD write disc for say less than 100 mb 'films'.
    These are fed from a digital Canon still/movie S1 IS camera, (3months old)via its USB2 lead and Arcsoftware provided, whose editing is fine but formats are limited as is WinMoviemaker2 (with XP Home #2 update).
    Virtual Dub is more flexible and seems to allow the better quality SVCD format. The problem is the only loaded programme I have supplied with the Dell, to burn with, is Sonic 'Record Now' 7.2 and it only does the wishywashy compressed regular VCD (it also doesn't permit later add ons to the CD write only disc which is hardly used up). I have searched Sonic 's site & got their latest updates too, but they ignore the SVCD question. Is there any free add on or alternative burning prog. for this duty ? Does anyone know if Sonic are worth puruing ?
    Mike.

Blog Entries

Is there any free add on or alternative burning prog. for this duty ?
    There are licencing issues that make MPEG-2 applications almost invariably "pay" applications (an exception to this rule is bbMPEG). If you want to do a good job of creating SVCDs, get TMPGenc to encode compliant streams, then use Nero to create the file structure.

Virtual Dub is more flexible and seems to allow the better quality SVCD format.
    But then you won't be able to play the video on the majority of DVD players

The problem is the only loaded programme I have supplied with the Dell, to burn with, is Sonic 'Record Now' 7.2 and it only does the wishywashy compressed regular VCD (it also doesn't permit later add ons to the CD write only disc which is hardly used up).
    Generally you will have to finalise the CD (VCD) in order for it to be playable in a DVD player, so this isn't an issue. But VCDs are only pennies. Moreover, SVCD isn't exactly light years better than VCD and compatibility is worse. I'd stick with creating VCDS for now. You can achieve good to average quality with high compatabilty. Gievn that your "cam" is a stills camera, the quality may not even degrade that much.

Default Want to Burn SVCD's

Thanks, Marc,

I do prefer with my valued videos to watch on Quicktime although using approx. twice the MB's of the camera's outputted file. This of course isn't any good without a p.c. hence my attempt to improve on the floaty images I found when converted to VCD X TV displays.
    I will study the lines you suggest,BUT if I do spend out instead, on write once DVD's would I straight away get better images still,(than svcd say) without the initial cost and learning of yet another programme ? In bulk they are not so expensive either.
    I will appreciate your opinion as quality is an issue which the aforesaid QT demonstrates is achievable.

Finally I gather that DVD players generally recognise only the three formats apart from JPeg stills ? I wish to write my daughter's wedding vid to U.K and USA DVD users.

Regards, Mike (West Sussex)

Blog Entries

I do prefer with my valued videos to watch on Quicktime although using approx. twice the MB's of the camera's outputted file.
    Why did you encode to QT - and end up with file size twice the size? If you re-encode a video, the only way quality will go is down (or in some cases remain the same)... it can never go up.

Finally I gather that DVD players generally recognise only the three formats apart from JPeg stills?
    Not quite sure what you mean here. DVD players generally support the DVD whitebook standard (hence the name DVD player!)... both VCD and SVCD are actually written into this standard and therefore *should* play in most players. So this is perhaps the 3 formats to which you refer (VCD (MPEG), SVCD (MPEG2) and DVD (MPEG2)). As a subset of these standards, other unofficial formats have evolved through user communties such as XVCD and KVCD/KDVD. These are generally modifications to either squeeze more video or improve quality whilst retaining compatabily with standalone DVD players.

I wish to write my daughter's wedding vid to U.K and USA DVD users.
    Care needed here as the UK and USA use different TV standards: PAL in the UK and NTSC in the states. Chances are that an NTSC disc will play on a UK player and recent TV (but certainly not guaranteed).

Thank you again, Marc,

You explain things carefully and they make sense. Do I take it that SVCD at MPeg2 = DVD for quality and Kb's ?
    I may have misled you on QT file size as I have saved from several digital 'still' cameras movie shorts over the last couple of years, and from the Canon S1 IS I now have, the difference between Camera 'Video Clip' and QT is small but I did just run both formats from my 'test' comparison video files and have to agree that more Kbs developed from less cannot be better than equal in viewed quality and that conversion has to make for deterioration. So really the shortest route from camera to product is surely the aim now ?
    What was disconcerting was when trying to save from camera to an "identical" format using the Canon/Arcsoft prog, it was doubled in file size: so one thought was to put up with that expansion & use it as a common assembly mode in one of the compatible movie maker prog's, before burning to a CD in what I had wanted, SVCD.
    I did discover hidden depths in WinMovieMaker to allow other formats but none appeared in the end to be the same as SVCD though I experimented with several like sounding options. Surprisingly once I'd suppressed the ever eager Sonic Record Now programme, I did write a disc with WinMMaker, but though O.K. for a P.C. not for a stand alone DVD reader.
    I have loaded a borrowed Pinnacle 9 and was trying to use that to write to CD as it shows the SVCD option. It was a struggle to get past the forced video camera download via IEE1394 route to extract videos from my hard drive files but I'm about to try and do that, then see if I can do the same to a dvd and then do a qualitative comparison assessment. However I am more aware now of my ignorance and appreciate I'm probably trying to re-invent the wheel, so your intervention and further advice will be looked forwards to.
    As far as Pal/NTSC is concerned, I will take care and unlike other folk I have no immediate desire to compress files as the quality seems paramount and these are all home videos & not for transmission via the net.
    Regards,

Mike Hallam.

Blog Entries

I'm just about to leave, but have a few seconds:

Do I take it that SVCD at MPeg2 = DVD for quality and Kb's
    No. SVCD uses MPEG2, but the maximum birate and image resolution are smaller.

It was a struggle to get past the forced video camera download via IEE1394 route to extract videos from my hard drive files but I'm about to try and do that
    I would always recommend firewire (IEE1934) for video transfer.

Marc,

Thanks again. I'll have another look on site tomowrrow.

Mike H.

This is more of a commentary than question, though during the below "fun" I unfortunately corrupted an older video disc in Win AV format as the Sonic Burner prog. possibly attacked the front end. I can't unravel it to find & copy the contents, nor could I find a recover prog. at PCWorld yesterday. So are there any ways of bypassing the dodgy bits and getting some at least back ?
    (It was of my Grandson when still days old, at Maternity hospital two years ago.) Otherwise:-
    Pinnacle 9 is doing its stuff onto VCD now with editing in downloaded off Vidcam a full one hour's AVI, an enormous 14 GB file requiring me to empty out lots of my HD to make the buffer space it asked for. The previous two tries to save to DVD failed as it cut a split second then closed the disc and nothing else happened. The first time I blamed the blank DVD the second was straight out of the wrapping so *!**.
    Thus went the less costly route of recording onto a CD as VCD which was fine. Am now going to try to edit and make the film onto DVD again but have rendered the original 14 GB file into Mpeg, 2 versions actually, one suitable for SVDC (I did it before I saw the subtext was not as expected)and one DVD format which occupy only 1 1/2 and 3 Gb respectively, on HD. I wondered whether the unsuppressable pop up of the Dell installed Sonic burn prog interacted and upset the DVD burn with Pinnacle ? Whatever, I've tried to kill off its auto load and this morning only one major P.C. crash when trying to watch the file on Win Movie Player. I also observe that statistically DVD writes at about 6 or 7 thousand bits per second whilst SVDC is less than 1/2 that so some indication of quality before doing a visual experiment to compare. I suppose it's not possible to save both types into one disc to do some tests, as it appears one can do SVDC onto a DVD blank to squeeze more in ?