Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I have 90 Gigabyte of fantastic aerial photo of car, but no story!

Default HELP! I have 90 Gigabyte of fantastic aerial photo of car, but no story!

Hello

Just to make o long story short, the company I work for have produced a movie intended for viral spread when we launched a new sporty car model. Part of the deal we (I) negotiated was that we would get the raw material from the helicopter camera.

So, now I have 90 Gb of HD material, of which 90% is REALLY good, but I can't think of how to use it. So, do you have any ideas? First, the original movie that the production company made for the launch (please note the "dolly shoot" of the car at 1:06. I was driving, and the helicopter is flying at 5 meter above ground!).

To me, this movie does not really catch the "speed" of the car. I was the driver except on the bridge, and I have driven.... actively. This means that I have both photage of the city, of the car alone on the bridge, but also doing some "cool" moves; i e sliding, speeding and so on (not in trafic).

So, do you have any ideas on what to do? I understand it is difficult to say without seing the actual material, but please try. The movie would not be a "official movie", so there is really no boundries

The Duck

2. Default

Last edited by bigben654321; 07-13-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigben654321 View Post
    So the youtube clip you have posted below is YOUR footage that you have to work with?

My advice is, see what all the other companies have done with their new car launches and perhaps you can steal some inspiration from them?
    The youtube clip was shot during one day, at the bridge, by the riverside, in a garage. We realized that nice helicopter footage of a car driving around in Stockholm is not something you get your hand on often, why we rented the helicopter + camera for an additional hour. This all resulted in approx 1 hour of raw footage. That is what I have to work with.... It contains fottage of car in trafic, on a sealad of bridge, driving fast, slow, and from all angles.

One idea I had was that I would record an artificial radio communication "simulating" com chatter between a police helicopter and other units. I could use After Effects to simulate infrared camera, speedometer HUD and so on... perhaps a bit corny though...

Probably best not to insinuate that your car is being used in a police car chase if you're trying to sell it as a new release. You're in a difficult position because while you want to show how sporty, cool, fast etc. it is, you have to do it within the speed limits and not be shown as driving the car aggressively.

I like the shots from the helicopter but think you just need to rework the start in the car park and the end when he pulls up at the docks, or at least get why he is driving there into it.

How about, for a story, he needs to catch a ferry or boat and so has to get to the docks in time with his fantastic car. He gets there just as the last car is being let on but refuses to get on the boat. We're puzzled because we thought the whole point was trying to get on the oat but it turns out he was just using the time the boat left as a time to get from the car park to the docks? With this you get the storyline, but you don't have a 'race' as such with another car but can show off it's speed.
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

That's some rather impressive footage you've got to play with there!

Perhaps you could play on the fact that there's actually no point of him going out for a drive; the car's so good that he's just going out in it for leasure. I suppose a voice over would help make the point.

I suggest that you only use the amazingly cool shots, and keep it reasonably short. Some of the bits at the beginning when he's getting into the car seemed a little unnecessary. It looks like most of your footage is amazingly cool though, so I suppose you won't have any problems there!

If you wanted it to appear as though there's more speed involved, sound effects will do the job nicely.

Actually... I wonder how it would sound with no music, only very carefully edited sounds. I think it might be quite cool and original.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBassist View Post
    Probably best not to insinuate that your car is being used in a police car chase if you're trying to sell it as a new release. You're in a difficult position because while you want to show how sporty, cool, fast etc. it is, you have to do it within the speed limits and not be shown as driving the car aggressively.
    You are absolutely right, something my boss cannot stress enough when we discuss the matter.

However I think I might have a solution, even though it might be a bit silly...

The movie starts with something like "Taken from police chopper Eagle 52 over Stockholm on the [date]"

Then you see a shot over the city, with just helicopter engine/rotor background sound. I record some background "radio com chatter" between the chopper and the "base". All of a sudden the helicopter spots the car and initiates pursuit. The pilot ask for assistance and the chase goes on for a minutes or so. After a while the base asks why the helicopter pursues the driver, the response simply is something like:

"Base, the driver has commited no crime, I just wanted to ask the driver what he thinks of the car, it loks really nice" or something like that.

I can of course in After Effects add information like speed, time etc.

Too corny?

If it was delivered right, I actually think that's a great idea!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post

Too corny?
    I don't think so - it's not a bad idea. But you might like to work on the wording of the punchline a little to make it snappier.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I don't think so - it's not a bad idea. But you might like to work on the wording of the punchline a little to make it snappier.

For sure. It would most likely have to be done in Swedish anyway, which I speak better than English which might explain the bad language.

Other ideas? That fits in a short clip but is "snappy" enough...

Thanks for the feedback everyone btw.

Or ...

"no crime has been committed, I just couldn't take my eyes of the car"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast