Thread: Two Questions about FCP

Exclamation Two Questions about FCP

I filmed an entire movie in portrait, so the shots are all vertical, and I am planning on showing them on a television that is rotated 90° so it is in portrait as well. I do not need to reformat anything because it was filmed in portrait but is there a way I can rotate the Viewer and Canvas so I can view my film on my computer in portrait?

Also, does anybody know a good image stabilization plug-in? (unless there is already a feature in FCP that has this)

I am using Final Cut Pro 7.0 (part of Final Cut Studio 3)

Hi there Famous,

As far as I know, you can rotate your canvas as many degrees as you want. All you need to do is click on the icon on top of the canvas (as you will see in the attached image here) and select Image+Wireframe and with the move tool selected rotate the canvas image/video.

Also, if you load the media in the viewer, and you lick on the Motion tab you have the Rotation tool which allows you to rotate the image/video on the viewer window.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition
    GoPro Hero

• Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM
    with Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X / 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Avid Media Composer v8.3
    • Baselight 4.3.5
    • DaVinci Resolve 12
    • Avid Artist Color
    • Adobe After Effect CS6

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

3. Default

Last edited by bigben654321; 07-13-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigben654321 View Post
    ?... what kind of film is this?
    It is a video of an architectural project and it is going to be displayed in an exhibit for a new structure.

I guess you want to change the height width of your canvas in your project settings.

Go to "sequence=>settings"
    in the frame size set the pulldown menu at custom
    and your pixel aspect ratio on square (anamorphic off).
    Then change your width and height of the video.
    If you have SD material in 16:9 i would use 576x1024
    if it's 4:3 i would use 576x720
    something like that.

The only thing you have to do then is rotate your video to 90 or -90 degrees (depends on how you rotated your camera while shooting.
    This is done in the "motion" tab in the viewer. There is an option "rotation".

That should do the trick!!!
    The only problem you might have is that your DVD editing program doesn't know what to do with this video size. What software do you use to put it on DVD?

final cut has a very good built in stabilizer inherited from shake.

go to the effects tab and cmd+f to find "stabilizer". apply the image stabilizer effect to the clip you wish to stabilize. to reduce render times, you might wanna export then re-import just the segment of the clip you wish to stabilize as otherwise it attempts to stabilize the entire master clip - which takes ages. results are pretty darn good.

video production newcastle

I almost always take any shaky footage straight to motion (use 'Send To' motion) and use Motion's stabilizer. It's trivial to use and produces better results if much less time than those present in FCP. If you have FCP you also have Motion, so why not learn to use this function? It saves a LOT of time and produces BETTER results.

I've had a lot of success on fixing minor shakes in FCP using their SmoothCam plugin. As long as you keep the scaling below 102 or 103% and go easy on the "Translation Smooth" and "Rotation Smooth" you should be good. It takes some testing to get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jroldan View Post
    I've had a lot of success on fixing minor shakes in FCP using their SmoothCam plugin. As long as you keep the scaling below 102 or 103% and go easy on the "Translation Smooth" and "Rotation Smooth" you should be good. It takes some testing to get used to.
    Smoothcam can indeed make a big difference to some shots - but compared to Motion it is super slow at analysing and doesn't have the same tracker controls.

I really recommend people learn the stabilisation functions of motion - even if it's the only thing about motion they learn!