Thread: Animated Graphs/Diagrams

Post Animated Graphs/Diagrams

Hello Chaps,

I'm working on a episodic documentary series for a personal project, and in a lot of the episodes, I need to display graphs and other data. I don't want to merely draw them in Photoshop and bring the images into Final Cut Studio 2; I'd much prefer to animate things.

For example, one of the charts I need to show is a line graph with several companies' share prices plotted across a particular time period.

I wanted to get your opinions on what you think is the best way to approach this.

At the moment, I'm considering building them in Flash and exporting into the relevant format to import into the FCS project. Is this the best way forward? I've never attempted this kind of thing before and I do have Motion although I've not had a good look through the program yet to see if I can achieve what I want. I have LiveType due to owning FCE 4.0 as well.

Any feedback very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by dtgreen; 06-06-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Motion is an incredible bit of software which can do all you want and more. Unfortunately it has a really steep learning curve (one which I've never managed to climb) and is very difficult to master at first. In fact i've stuck to After Effects which is a lot easier to start on and will also do what you want.

I've got the full CS4 suite and haven't really given AE much thought to be honest.

Is it fair to say then that rendering and exporting a graph from AE into video would be a better option that turning a .flv movie into video and using that?

Cheers,
    Dave

Blog Entries

Sorry, I don't know as I don't use flash. I found AE relatively easy to master (with the help of "After Effects Apprentice" from Chris Meyer) and have never had any quality issues in hd stuff.