Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The spy-pen... a warning

Blog Entries

Default The spy-pen... a warning

£30 for a pen, which is also a mini-camcorder, yeah, sounds like fun...

i bought the video pen from £30 from Pay4x.com which turns out to be a right Micky-mouse firm and, quite frankly, one to avoid at all costs. No answer to any e-mails, phone on ansafone and I only got my goods after waiting weeks and making a complaint to Visa and Paypal. So, if you're going to get one, go elsewhere!

These are the first few lines of the instructions. I swear that I haven't altered them... and they get worse!

"Starting photograph in the closed down condition indicating lamp all extinguished press the button short, is first yellow bright period of time to the blue lamp bright namely starting. Attention: If the pattern switch already allocated move set clock for the video recording pattern then enters the video recording pattern to start directly."

I have no friggin' idea what any of this means.

If I can get it to work I'll post some footage.

Blog Entries

This is what it is...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Camcorder-Mini-Digital-Video-Recorder/dp/B001GULLV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1275822029&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Pen with 4GB Spy Camcorder/Mini Digital Video Recorder: Office…[/ame]

(That'll teach me not to read the reviews first)

and this is what the footage is like...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tKRxA_jsV4]YouTube - Spy-pen-test.avi[/ame]

and no, there is no sound, a common problem apparently.

I thought it was only me that did daft things like purchasing Chinese rubbish without a review or test drive.
    Thanks for the tip about the company.
    http://www.soundzshop.com
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

http://www.soundclick.com/solway

Yes, translations are tricky. There was on TV a mention that the translation of "out of sight, out of mind" into Russian and back into English came back as "invisible idiot".

When you posted a warning, I assumed it was because you had been ripped off! You bought a cheap product and received the product? Its sold cheaply in that after sales care is not included. However if its non-functional (rather than not what you was hoping for) contact paypal for a refund.

Lets look at the "spy pen" - its a cheap Chinese product (looking at ebay 8GB versions are going for sub £20 inc worldwide postage) so the lens/mic wont be up to much more than a basic webcam. However the plus side is portability/spontaneity - video from a cheap spy pen is better than no video because you didn't bring your camcorder with you. Back on the negative side, the software will be "functional" to demonstrate it kind of works and you won't get better unless there is a user community that is developing a firmware mod (there are for various pieces of eastern produced tech). I considered getting one once, but I upgraded my mobile phone shortly after and so it would've been redundant as my mobile with a "named lens" would always be with me.

I hope you do get it to work, as I'm sure you want to have fun with it - it fear of these type of things I no longer pick my nose in public
    Last edited by canals; 06-07-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Actually it is worse than having nothing at all.

The footage from my ancient (two years old) mobile phone is far better than the pen. The pen's footage is virtually useless, not even worth the £30, so unsharp, pixelly and full of artifacts it is almost unrecognisable if it's not shot in sunlight without movement of any kind!

I had hoped to use it to take the yellow fluid out of collegues but there's no chance of that!

Not one of my better purchases.

Edit: Note to Canals, I was ripped off by Pay4x.com in that they didn't send the goods, answer my e-mails, return my calls (no person at the end of the phone, just a recording and ansafone) for weeks until I complained to both Paypal and Visa and put in a claim. I wonder how many people think "oh, it's only a few quid" and don't bother to chase it up. More than that, how many just give up after a few weeks or simply forget about it?
    I was also ripped off in that there is no audio and a bit of research on t'internet shows that none of the pen cams have audio yet, in the advert, Pay4x.com claim that it records sound.
    Also, Pay4x.com should check their products and make sure that, for example, the instructions are understandable.

So my warning is twofold. Don't buy from Pay4x.com as they seem a completely dodgy set-up and don't buy this particular pen-cam as it doesn't do what it claims.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-08-2010 at 09:22 AM.

May be you should have gone for these.

Thats providing your friends don't have one of these.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 06-08-2010 at 11:39 AM.

7. Default

Last edited by bigben654321; 07-13-2010 at 08:47 PM.

I believe this is the manufacturer's website. There is a tab "others" which will display the same wondrous instructions which TheGaffer posted.

Supper slim Pen cameras DVR with 640*480 resolution ,30fps ,4GB flash memory, RS-P001C - Digital Products - ZICO

It is described as a "Supper slim Pen camera". Perhaps it is intended to be eaten.

What about e-bay can't you get them of there. It seems like you could have so much fun with those if they looked a bit better and had sound but would good use could get out them you cant film anything on it. Unless you,re spying on people but that's probably the only thing you could use them for.
    It would be nice to have to show people that you have a spy pen though.(:

Blog Entries

My idea was to tie it to a toy helium ballon, on a long bit of string and see how high it would go. The quality is so bad that it's no good even for that! Obviously for £30 you can't expect HD but, considering that you can pick up relatively decent web-cams for £9.99, I expected at least mobile-phone quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast