Thread: 3D help

Default 3D help

I always wanted to know this about 3D???

I know the way they did it before was they would shoot the film with two Camaras next to one another.

And they were about maybe 6. inch apart and one would see what the left eye would see and the other would see what the right eye would see.

Then when they edit the two films the would give one a red over;ay and the other film a blue overlay.

And put the two films ontop of one another.

Then make the one filme ontop a little transparint.

And the glasses would give you a Depth look I get this.

But when they take old movies that were shot with just one camara how do they make this 3D??????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    But when they take old movies that were shot with just one camara how do they make this 3D??????????????????????
    Please, can you give some examples?

Default thanks but

well I don't know of any off the top of my Head but every now and then you see on TV this old movie is Re Released in 3D.
    And I think how the Hell do they do it?????

It is difficult to describe the process without a specific example.
    AFAIK, in cases where scenes contain large amounts of CGI (e.g. Titanic); it is likely straightforward to generate the 2nd image; as required for 3d viewing. For non-CGI footage, it is possible to generate the 2nd image; but the process requires a computer to learn (or be told) the XYZ coordinates of every object in a scene, and to add more information about the object from any other existing views of the object before rendering. A third option is simply to take the original image and apply the filters. Whilst the image might appear 3d; in fact the entire viewing area is shifted in front or behind the viewing screen; but image remains flat.

Default Thanks but

well what I meen is if they use two camaras to film it they have a left and right film to shift.

But if they have say one film from one camara from say 1920s then they just have one film so how can they shift it??

Even if they take the one film and make two copies one for left and one for right they are the same so what are they shifting?????

Not all movies can be converted to the same quality.
    As described earlier, there are several techniques. Please cite an example of such a 1920's converted film. (I suggest looking on YouTube; as it contains many example).

That cannot be correct. The original poster wrote "But if they have say one film from one camara from say 1920s then they just have one film so how can they shift it?".

8. Default

Perhaps another question would be more suitable...

Why do you want to know this?
    Do YOU wish to make your own 3D movie?
    Are you simply curious about how they did it?
    Do you have some old holiday video where a dolphin jumped out of the ocean and you wish to make it 3D?

Asking "how do they make that in 3D" is like asking how a Bugatti Veyron can go up to 253.8 mph.

The point is that the people who do these things are masters of their chosen craft and just like the makers of the Bugatti have years of experience in their trade. Why specifically would you want to know how they make an old movie into 3D?!?