Thread: Pinnacle 14 Ultimate blu-ray

Default Pinnacle 14 Ultimate blu-ray

Trying for first time to get about 1 hour 45 mins footage onto a BD-RE 25GB Blu-ray disc. Why in Pinnacle 14 Ultimate when set to blu-ray,best quality does it only allow 77 mins on disc at 63% quality?I thought you would be able to get at least a few hours at 100% quality on this disc. Using LG GGW-H20L (YLO5) with Windows 7 64 bit. Any step by step instructions would be greatly received! Butty in York
    Last edited by Butty; 06-06-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Pinnacle works out the final file size based on the quality setting and length of the movie when making a DVD. I don't have a Blu-Ray but I presume it's the same principle. I guess Pinnacle must think the file size of a movie that long is to big to fit on the disk at full or 100% quality. The auto setting will automatically set a quality setting to enable you to fit the full movie on the disk it's up to you to decide if that is good enough quality.

Sometimes it's just a trial and error thing.

Thanks for your reply, see you live in York as well.Its all very strange,whats the point of burning something onto blu-ray thats only gives you 63% quaility? Anybody out there with Pinnacle 14 Ultimate who has tried burning onto blu-ray? Makes me feel i've wasted my money buying a HDV Sony camera and building a new computer and fitting an LG GGW-H20L to burn blu-rays! Butty.

I'm not really any help but I have managed to burn 4 x blu-rays - Verbatim 25GB but they are rubbish! They burn as you stated at 520p (or thereabouts), only half the disk is used and after about 1/2 hour the picture goes blocky (huge blocks). I need help too

I'm advised that the Blu-ray quality is jut dvd quality and the blockiness is in the Pinnacle rendering as when I have played the .mts file from the computer disk, it is blocky at the same point so not the burners fault (same as burner as yours). Again Pinnacle gives an "almost nearly product".
    Last edited by michaelmakro; 06-19-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Additional info

Default Pinnacle

Anyone used Pinnacle to edit AVCHD footage from a Sanyo HD-2100? Looking to get the right software...

Default Pinnacle 14 Blue ray burning

Dear friend
    I have exactly the same problem with you...
    I edited avchd footage using pinnacle studio 14 and made a blue ray disc in best quality using an LG blue ray burner. The results were not good, nothing near the quality the camera shows on a full HD TV.
    Before starting the edit, I adjust the settings in 1920X1080, in M PEG 2 format
    Before burning (make movie) I adjust again the settings in “Blue ray” format and “best quality”, and it gives me an indication for 63% quality!!!
    If I adjust the settings in AVSHD format, it doesn’t t read the BD writer…. (Or maybe the BD disk)
    I have an I-7 processor computer with 3 gigs of ram. (Vista 32 bit). My camera is a Panasonic TM 300
    My idea of HD video is that what you get on the screen from your camcorder you should get from the blue ray disk, after all it is digital.

I m so confused, lost and disappointed, becouse lately i have invest a lot of money buying new camera, HD TV, blue ray player and writer, just for this reason
    I m almost sure that it s “settings” problem.
    I try also to find a solution..

Default 63% issue explanation

hi,

it seems the "63%" indication is normal and not a pinnacle issue.
    Its due to a ratio between the quality of the incoming file and what can be done on a BD in studio 14.
    See the explanation here:

Avid - 63% Quality Limit When Burning To Best Quality Blu-Ray Disc with Studio 14.

Cool RE: I have the same problem as you

Dear Fellow Videographer,

I do hope you can find a solution and share that with us. My investigation leads me to suspect the AVCHD specification still exceeds the limitations of both Pinnicle and some BD writer mfr's specifications. This is a long standing problem waiting for the tech to catch up to the spec. I call it the, "you can't have your cake and eat it too" syndrome. High Def video may be only available on High Def TV for viewing and sound without issues through HDMI. I WANT TO MAKE DVD'S AND SELL MY CONTENT!!!! When and how do I do that? So far my solution to that is still with Super HI-8 film capture. Not as stunning as High Def but I don't have any of the size limitation problems and my equipment costs still within my means. Good luck and let's keep posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimart View Post
    Dear friend
    I have exactly the same problem with you...
    I edited avchd footage using pinnacle studio 14 and made a blue ray disc in best quality using an LG blue ray burner. The results were not good, nothing near the quality the camera shows on a full HD TV.
    Before starting the edit, I adjust the settings in 1920X1080, in M PEG 2 format
    Before burning (make movie) I adjust again the settings in “Blue ray” format and “best quality”, and it gives me an indication for 63% quality!!!
    If I adjust the settings in AVSHD format, it doesn’t t read the BD writer…. (Or maybe the BD disk)
    I have an I-7 processor computer with 3 gigs of ram. (Vista 32 bit). My camera is a Panasonic TM 300
    My idea of HD video is that what you get on the screen from your camcorder you should get from the blue ray disk, after all it is digital.

I m so confused, lost and disappointed, becouse lately i have invest a lot of money buying new camera, HD TV, blue ray player and writer, just for this reason
    I m almost sure that it s “settings” problem.
    I try also to find a solution..

Default Makeing Hd Ble ray in Pinnicle 14 "Ive got the same problem"

Hi new to this forum
    just built new win 7 ultimate pc 64 bit AMD 3.1 quad core processer and 8 gig of ram plus hd 1 gig grafix card
    i put in a blu ray burner to LG I was running pinnicle studeo 12 but want to burn proper blu ray hd discs my camcorder is a canon hv 20 it gives 1080 p files out ie 1440x 1080 i think
    I am going to buy studieo 14 ultimate but keep reading these type of forums about it not working
    So thinking of Adobe prem elements 9
    does anybody know if this will make good true hd disc at the reulution my camcorder produces
    Again they say it will I do have acess to Premier CS3 but its to hard to use and does not thumbnail every shot in capture that puts me off but elements does i know for shur as i had a trail verson in the past but did not get to burn due to time constraints pitty !
    It s obvious
    as a thought pinnicle 14 ultimate is not up to the job even thought they say it will do the job !!!!
    Thankyou inanticipation new be
    Simon c

Seems kind of strange seeing so many people with only one or two posts in the same thread... nevertheless, if pinnacle ain't cutting it for you, just use something else. It ain't rocket science. TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress is one of the best converters out there. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 is pretty good for making DVD menus and buring, but there are better choices for that.