maximum 20 shots
    no spoken word
    no narrative

what I tried to do :
    Do everything myself.
    Keep things simple
    make sure editing is tight and 'crisp'
    make every shot count
    Add audio soundFX after (All soundeffects, from grabbing cig to clothes rustling, except on 2 shots were recorded separately)

What still needs to be done :
    Some tweaks here and there to the cuts
    Some color correction
    Music! (anyone have any ideas? Thinking of a videocopilot tension synth for the 2'nd half)
    Title, probably something like 'my last 2 minutes' or something.

Please please please give me all the constructive criticism you can. It's the first time I've ever tried making anything like this. Nearly all my experience is purely editing based.

Everything shot on a Sony HX5 @ 1080i 60 fps

[ame=http://vimeo.com/12306218]Test, entrance film on Vimeo[/ame]
    Last edited by h4x0rninja; 06-05-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Some of the cuts at the beginning might be a bit unecessary but on the whole a good effort.

I have a recording studio and would recommend you link up with someone that can give you access to the Dimensions LE synth for your audio effects.

3. Default

`Thanks for the comment! I don't know anyone though with a professional sound studio though :(

On the whole I thought it was a good piece.

Only a few niggles for me, everything that was displayed on the tv and the computer you could tell was straight to the frame but not to the tv and computer. The perspective of the images displayed needed to be altered.

Also, im sure you realised the problems caused by shooting with such a light background, the iris was going mental when you moved to sit by the computer.

Lastly, towards the beginning when you were sitting on the bed, I thought the framing was quite poor, your head was bang in the centre of the shot, meaning loads of head room that was filled with nothing and we had your feet chopped off.

But, for the brief you had, a very good job.

I've a recording studio with a vast selection of atmospherics.
    If you like tell me what sounds you need and I can MP3 them through to you

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    Some of the cuts at the beginning might be a bit unecessary but on the whole a good effort.

I have a recording studio and would recommend you link up with someone that can give you access to the Dimensions LE synth for your audio effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    On the whole I thought it was a good piece.

Only a few niggles for me, everything that was displayed on the tv and the computer you could tell was straight to the frame but not to the tv and computer. The perspective of the images displayed needed to be altered.

Also, im sure you realised the problems caused by shooting with such a light background, the iris was going mental when you moved to sit by the computer.

Lastly, towards the beginning when you were sitting on the bed, I thought the framing was quite poor, your head was bang in the centre of the shot, meaning loads of head room that was filled with nothing and we had your feet chopped off.

But, for the brief you had, a very good job.
    Wow, thanks for the advice!
    I have a few questions and comments regarding your post;

I still have a few days, so I am looking to get out the little things at the moment. Do you have any idea how I can match the perspective of the masked out tv and monitor as you said? I use sony vegas 9c.

Also I was kinda aware of the lighting, I tried blocking out more light from my window, but it made everything look too dark. I tried to keep light consistent in the shots though, didnt go too well :P Do you have any tips on how to correct the exposure/brightness on 'that' scene that the iris flips out on (when i move to the computer)

About the framing in the beginning shot you talked about: the natives are fullhd, do you think I should pan/crop to get the excess out ?

Again, thanks alot for your time!

I've never used vegas so can't tell for certain how to do it, but is there some sort of free transform tool for video and graphics? You should be able to stretch the boundary box of the corners individually so you're able to alter the perspective for fitting it to the tv.

Back lighting situations like this are never easy to deal with, maybe just re-shoot a different angle of you sitting at the computer where the window is not in the background?

Not sure what you mean regarding pan/crop. Is it filmed in HD but the output is a smaller size such as PAL? In this case it should mean you can move the video 'up' the screen, probably by zooming in to 100% on the HD (if you have HD footage filling a PAL sequence it's probably approx 53% original size) and then you can move the frame up to lose all that head room.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by h4x0rninja View Post
    Do you have any idea how I can match the perspective of the masked out tv and monitor as you said? I use sony vegas 9c.
    If you have Vegas Pro 9c then you can use 3D Track Motion (you put your TV screen shot on it's own track and manipulate that track in 3D space)
    If you're running one of the flavours of Vegas Movie Studio, drop a Sony Deform effect on the event containing the TV footage and manipulate that to give the correct sort of look.
    Hope that helps.
    Tim

I thought it was a good effort. I agree about fitting the images in the TV an computer screen.

To stop the over exposure, then under exposure, set the iris manually to be right for when you have sat down. I don't think it matters to much about the over exposure at the beginning of the shot so long as the last bit of the shot is right. Others may disagree.

As always you're spot on Middy (Nearly Always anyway.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast