Thread: Filming School Events?

1. Default Filming School Events?

Hi Guys,

I found some very useful information on this site when googling so I thought I would join. I found some helpful answers but I wanted to get others opinions on a specific matter. I have been asked to film an event at a school (a dance recital) and obviously the subjects being filmed are children. I've never worked in this area before and I was curious about the procedure.

I am presuming each child performing will need their parent or guardian to sign a consent form saying they permit their child to be filmed? I apologise that this may seem like a very naive question, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Also would it be suggested that a sign it put in the lobby stating the performance will be filmed?

Christ, what a red tape nightmare!

Thanks for any help or advice.

the school should have permissions slips all ready as part of the data the schools needs.

Having the sign is a good idea, but generally you only get backs of heads in the audience, unless its two cameras with reaction shots.

You do not need any police checks as you will not be alone with any children,

3. Default

Thanks for your reply.

I telephoned the school where the event was taking place and all of the kids already have permission to be filmed in a group setting - so you were spot on with that. It is the schools responsibility (according to the school) to obtain all the relevant permissions.

I will also include a sign near the entrance stating that we have permission to film and have obtained the relevant permissions (to please the more sensitive parents).

It's not as tricky as I initially thought, I did presume that police checks etc would be part of the process. Thanks for your advice, hopefully others may find this advice useful too.

4. Default

I have since completed the filming at the school and I thought I would post a brief follow up. I didn't require permission (as the school had already obtained it) however they were kind enough to lend me a template for future reference. I don't know if anyone will find the following useful, but I thought it may be worth a share:

Filming Consent

Insert business name recognises the need to ensure the welfare and safety of children when in an environment where video will be produced. This form is provided as a legal requirement.

On Insert full date Insert business name will be attending Insert location name to professionally video Insert event name from Insert time. Insert business name have been asked to attend in order to record the event and produce a DVD.

Insert business name would therefore request your permission for your child(ren) to be filmed by our video cameras. Insert number videographers will be present at the event, Insert full videographer name and Insert full videographer name.

No children will be identified by name. The angle of the video cameras will vary. The proximity of the child to the video camera may be either at a distance or up close. Children will only be videoed in a group setting while on stage / performing.

The final film will be provided to parents on DVD, this is done at the arrangement and discretion of Insert school name. Insert business name will retain a copy of the film as a master copy. The film will not be used by Insert business name for any promotional purposes.

Filming of your child(ren) will only taken place by the named videographers above at the specified event, location and time. Please note that Insert business name holds no responsibility for your child(ren) being filmed by individuals who are not associated with Insert business name.

If you have any questions please contact Insert business name on Insert telephone number or e-mail us at Insert e-mail address. Alternatively, please contact the relevant parties who are organising the event.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Consent Form

I give permission for my child(ren) to be filmed by Insert business name for the above event.

Child(rens) Name: .......

Your Name: ......

Signature: ......

Date: ......

Please return this form as soon as possible, failure to provide permission may result in your child being unable to participate / attend.
    This may not be a 100% legal document, but it does cover all of the basics and should be suitable if anyone needs to make use of it. I also put a sign near the entrance saying the event was being filmed and permission had been granted.

Quite a good MR, however there is one ommision that I think deserves pointing out in this situation. That is that you have no control over what happens to the recording once it is in the hands of other parents, who could well put it on u-tube or the like in order to show auntie Flo in Australia!
    We use a MR that allows all uses and advise anyone in the audience that they should wear an armband (supplied) if they do not want including in the video. Nobody has yet worn one!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

6. Default

Good point, that is certainly worth adding in there!

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    ...advise anyone in the audience that they should wear an armband (supplied) if they do not want including in the video. Nobody has yet worn one!
    What a brilliant yet simple idea.