Thread: What format should I shoot Zi8 footage in?

1. Default What format should I shoot Zi8 footage in?

Hi all,

I'm using Prem Pro CS5 along with my Kodak Zi8 to shoot some footage with the aim of editing and putting something on a DVD.

Now, the Zi8 can shoot in 576, 720p, 720p @ 60fps, and 1080p, and I'm wondering which setting to use. Now I know that I will only be able to put the film on a normal DVD, not Blu Ray, so is there any point in shooting more than 576?

The only reason I ask is that I've read time and time again that it's better to have higher quality source footage and then reduce it down at the edit/DVD burn stage to 576, so I'm leaning towards shooting in as higher resolution as possible to try and ensure the end DVD is as good in terms of footage quality as I can get.

I'm also really liking the 720/60 fps mode as it's a lot smoother and as I'm going for more of a documentary feel than a film feel this seems to suit better.

So am I wasting my time by shooting in 720/1080 when the output will only be a DVD, or should I be aiming to shoot in as higher resolution as possible for the best possible results?

Blog Entries

Shoot in the hightest available. This gives you the opportunity to create a high res version in the future if the need arises. I have recently done this with a project where I downconverted to DV before editing; I simply copied the clips to a new high res timeline, replaced the original clips with the HD version in the project (from a Zi8 no less) and then exported.