Thread: The Metropolitan

Default The Metropolitan

Urban Exploration is a HUGE passion of mine. This is one of my latest video's that I made myself with my own footage + music from my cd collection. I am looking for some constructive criticism, or even compliments LOL. I am DEFINATELY still in the learning process, but I hope you all enjoy. I sure had a blast making these.

I recorded this video in the abandoned Metropolitan Building in Detroit, MI

The Metropolitan

And one of my PERSONAL FAVORITES is this from one of the abandoned Boblo Boats that used to take people from Detroit to Boblo Island (Bois Blanc).

LINK DELETED - ONE VIDEO PER THREAD PLEASE

There are TONS more on the site, plus pics (not that anyone here cares about pics LOL).. Feel free to browse the site, and I will try to make a post when I put out new videos.

Thanks in advance for telling me how much I suck! LOL
    Last edited by TimStannard; 06-04-2010 at 11:02 PM.

22 views, no replies?
    i was hoping for some feedback.. good or bad

I watched the Metropole film. In its current state of editing, the clip might only be of interest to people who:
    a) Know the city and the building.
    b) Already know it is badly damaged and dangerous.
    c) like watching people perform mildly daring action.

With more careful editing, it should be possible to show the viewer around the building without confusing their general sense of what they were looking at.
    From a documentary view, I think many aspects of the building position, construction and design were lost.

To make this video more interesting I would get rid of the music and put in a narration. It is just confusing without knowing what is happening. Where you are, why you're there. Describe to the viewer what part of the building your in. Tell us about the history of the building, why it fell into disuse. Etc..... This would have been best done live to give the viewer an involvement and a sense of the atmosphere of the place but a voice over will still improve your current video.

Doing this will also lead you to think about the editing so it's not just arbitrary images.

Well that's what I'd do anyway.

Blog Entries

Even with narration it's unwatchable. Use handheld camerawork for effect - for example when you want to show first person action, disorientate the viewer or numerous other reasons, by all means, but for reportage/documetary type footage it just reeks of too much trendy TV.
    If you're trying to show me the delapidation of a building, then for goodness sake let me see it instead of wobbling the camera all over the place.

You've also posted without reading the rules which request you post one video per thread. Otherwise feedback becomes confusing. I've deleted it. Please post it again undera separate thread.
    Tim

Possibly the worst video I've seen this year. I'm not sure if I can explain why!!!!

Sorry can't be more help.

Thumbs down Useless

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    Possibly the worst video I've seen this year. I'm not sure if I can explain why!!!!

Sorry can't be more help.
    Useless post.

Apparently noone noticed the purpose of the video.
    It is NOT a documentary style video.
    I figured with the music and shotty camera work that I didn't need to explain that, LOL.

I agree with the above, if it were going to be a documentary film.
    I don't agree with the mentality behind your "reasoning" though. Such as needing an explanation of the history of the place, what it used to look like, etc.. Applying that exact same mentality it would be impossible to enjoy a photograph. For example, this photo:

Without explanation I suppose the same people as above DISLIKE the photo, correct? I mean how could they like that pic right? It doesn't explain what kind of car it is, how it got there, how it got into the condition it is in, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to "tear into" those who posted negatively. I appreciate the comments and suggestions, seriously. I just thought with the music and the clips I chose to use that it was apparent the video was for fun, and not a boring documentary style film with narration.
    I do plan to compile something along that style in the future (perhaps after some renovations and more filming).. But for now, I am having fun with the videos and having fun editing them and trying to make them work with the music.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, please keep them coming.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned Planet View Post
    Apparently noone noticed the purpose of the video.
    If that is the case, then you video failed in its intent. I'm not entirely sure why that is the viewers' fault

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned Planet View Post
    Without explanation I suppose the same people as above DISLIKE the photo, correct? I mean how could they like that pic right? It doesn't explain what kind of car it is, how it got there, how it got into the condition it is in, etc...
    Now you're talking rubbish.

There are many differences between still and motion photography, but the critical one here is the aspect of time.

When we look at a still, we can take as much or as little time as we like to appreciate (or otherwise) some or all of the photo. Sure, a well composed photo, will draw one's attention to a particular detail. but we are still left with time to browse, to take what we want from the photo. This, combined wit the much higher detail available in still photography, is why I hold that if you want to look at architectural details or paintings or sculpture, in the absense of the real thing, a books of good quality stills is far better than a film.

Why would we dislike the photo you posted? It's not a badly taken photo. We can, if we want, read some story into it, appreciate the tones, take a message from it, understand the composition.

With film/video, our time viewing each image is dicated totally by the director/editor, therefore it is an absolute requirement that you must direct us, the viewers as to where our attention should be concentrated.

Your film, I'm afraid, did not.

If it is an art piece, it must be clear that it is an art piece and the film should either express an opinion, or give us some clue from which to make up our own opinion.

If it is a fun piece, then it should be fun.

This is not a forum for documentaries, but what you posted looked like a poorly made documentary, hence the comments you received.

Clearly, given the comments received, it did not come across as either arty or fun.

It was challenging to watch - challenging in that the visuals were disorientating and shakey but with no apparent purpose. When I watched, at first I though it was going to be quite an interesting film. I thought that shakey shots showing delapidation worked well togather. Sadly, it didn't develop, we just got more of the same, by which point I was wondering if this was really meant to be a documentary type piece about the ruin of a once great building, possibly using it as an allegory for ruin of times past.

So, in summary, those of us who responded with suggestions for improving the film as a documentary did so because there was no clear indication that it was trying to be anything other than a documentary.

Perhaps you should try one. It'll maybe give you an understanding of narrative. Even the artiest of pieces takes the viewer on some sort of journey.

I like that you are trying something different, this is to be persued with vigour, but recognise it is unlikely that you will come up with something original which works without many bumps along the way.

But then again, I'm just an old git who makes a few films for ahobby so what do I know
    Tim