Thread: Reach Beta Music Video!

Default Reach Beta Music Video!

Hello! I have made a music video using footage from the Halo Reach Muliplayer Beta, and the song Crush- (by) Pendulum.

The video is in 720p High Definition (on vimeo, not while embedded). It's some fairly basic editing done with Sony Vegas Pro 9.0. Constructive Criticism is welcomed! I'd very much love to know what I could do better. I linked my Youtube Channel in the description on the page. Check out some of my other stuff if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    I'd very much love to know what I could do better
    The audio volume is HIGH, ie: too LOUD. It is distorted. I recommend checking out the helpfile; and a few sites which explain 'decibels', it will make it easier to get it right.

I could spot some of the places where you had done some editing; but I did not watch it all. After a while I got confused about who was who, why they were doing it, what they were doing, when they did it; and what the final outcome was.

Or perhaps it does not matter. Best of luck!

I appreciate it! The volume thing I'll keep in mind when I'm editing my next project. Also it didn't matter who was who. :P

I was really trying to capture the intensity and craziness that took place. Thanks again!

Sorry for the double-post, but does no one else have any tips, criticism, or feedback...?

Blog Entries

Video game footage has very limited interest on this forum, I'm afraid, though we're aware of a few who like that "genre" which is why the admin created the sub-forum.
    Tim

6. Default

Personally I'm not a huge fan of video game montages, but I thought it was great.

Just something you might want to avoid in future videos is the complete darkness at the start of the video, I used to do this all the time until I discovered that slow motion has a nice effect to the buildup of a song. For example, the zoomy shot of the waterfall would be in slow motion zooming out perhaps it could be in black and white until around 00:10 when the main beat of the song starts.

I've never played Halo before, but the smooth camerawork on the video was great, perhaps even overly-realistic at times. I think that it looks particularly smooth because most of the fanmade game videos have jumpy frame rates, but I couldn't pick up one skipped frame in this.

It's great to see that you didn't overuse transitions like in most fan game videos, I think sometimes that transitions just ruin the professionalism of productions. I especially liked 03:20, excellent. Although I'm not too sure about the split-screen at 01:16, maybe ruins the style a little.

I'm not sure about the "volume is HIGH, ie: too LOUD." post, it seemed quite normal to me with no peaking or clipping - and the volume is how it should be when you use the volume control in Vimeo, unlike some YouTube videos that are seemingly full blast on the lowest volume setting.

I think that the only other thing that could be improved is perhaps the timing of the clips, that song is quite defined and I feel that there should be more cutting to the beat in places.

Aside from those minor issues, excellent - be proud.
    Last edited by crazyporridge; 06-03-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Reformat silly sentence

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard
    Video game footage has very limited interest on this forum, I'm afraid, though we're aware of a few who like that "genre" which is why the admin created the sub-forum.

I see. Well thank you for bringing this to light with me, I suppose I've gotta keep looking for a place that I can really feel welcome in my "genre".

@crazyporridge

Thank you for the compliments! I suppose I'll go for a more in-between with the volume, since you didn't find any problems with it, but TimAndrews did. I experimented a bit with slow-motion and sped up clips in this at certain points, not much, but just a tad. I've heard a bit of the frame blender as a kinda mock "super smooth slow motion", but not much, so any clarification on that would be great. I'm keeping notes of everything that could be improved, so I really appreciate the feedback!

Blog Entries

I see. Well thank you for bringing this to light with me, I suppose I've gotta keep looking for a place that I can really feel welcome in my "genre".
    I hate to think I made you feel unwelcome...
    Tim

Oh no, not at all. I love that I've found a place where I can learn and meet other people who take joy in editing like myself. I honestly just meant that I feel I'm going to be alot more appreciated at a place where everyone does my kind of videos. This place is pretty awesome so far.

Blog Entries

I love that I've found a place where I can learn and meet other people who take joy in editing like myself.
    I hope you stick around, even when/if you find somewhere more dedicated to your sort of vids.
    Tim