Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Updated after your comments, please have a look and mark me out of 10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    267

    Default Updated after your comments, please have a look and mark me out of 10

    I posted a while back with my first video, and many of you good people took the time to watch English Country Garden in Spring, and many made some very useful comments.

    I have since re-edited the video after heeding the advice given, with three main changes:

    1. The video is shorter than the original
    2. Hopefully I have tightened up the editing, as was the advice of many
    3. I have changed the track

    I have also thrown a few extra shots, including a goofy dragonfly! :o)

    Version 2 of the video is now in the original post, and also here:





    If you could have a look at the original and version two, and tell me if I am improving at all I would be very grateful.

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike



    My original post is here:

    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...tml#post141044
    Last edited by MikeTV; 06-02-2010 at 09:05 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,192
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Yes but...

    This is one of the rare occasions where I would say that you need soft-cuts or dissolves. The shots are cut on the beat, spot on, but it does seem to draw attention to the fact. Just my impression.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Yes but...

    This is one of the rare occasions where I would say that you need soft-cuts or dissolves. The shots are cut on the beat, spot on, but it does seem to draw attention to the fact. Just my impression.
    Ok mate, thanks for the feedback. My Mac isn't very powerful though, and it takes forever to add any transissions, so I am always tempted to not do that!

    I agree that they would add to the video though.

  4. #4

    Default

    What was that thing at the end ?

    Because you changed the music I agree that some fades would have been nice. I liked this version and thought Cavatina worked well with the pictures to create a calm sunny back garden feel.

    I see you have tightened up the editing which makes it more watchable and I like the shots you have. This is really good editing practise for you and for others to see along with the comments.

    Glad you updated us.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Given the music and the appearance of the video, Personally i think the cuts should be less. i think Each shot needs to last a little longer. It seems to me at least, when watching you need to be able to appreciate the composition of the shot and for me this cuts away a little early on most.

    I guess in a lot of videos fast or moderate editing is good but for me this video should have a slower pace.

    Just my opinion

    good effort tho

    - Meats -

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Sound track is a lot better on V2 aswell



    - Meats -

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What was that thing at the end ?

    Because you changed the music I agree that some fades would have been nice. I liked this version and thought Cavatina worked well with the pictures to create a calm sunny back garden feel.

    I see you have tightened up the editing which makes it more watchable and I like the shots you have. This is really good editing practice for you and for others to see along with the comments.

    Glad you updated us.
    Thanks mate. I have no idea what happened at the end there. I tried exporting it from iMovie HD again today, and it happened again, albeit with a different image!

    I agree with the practice comments though. I feel more confident with each video I produce, and I'm sure I'll get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

    Did you notice the front on image of the dragonfly showed it to have goofy teeth? Hilarious, who knew!?!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meats View Post
    Given the music and the appearance of the video, Personally i think the cuts should be less. i think Each shot needs to last a little longer. It seems to me at least, when watching you need to be able to appreciate the composition of the shot and for me this cuts away a little early on most.

    I guess in a lot of videos fast or moderate editing is good but for me this video should have a slower pace.

    Just my opinion

    good effort tho

    - Meats -
    I was thinking that as well mate. Some of the shots are not much longer than they appear though, as the fox, the bee and the dragonfly didn;t hang around for long and they felt like the shots I would have wanted to leave on for longer. Sods law I guess.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meats View Post
    Sound track is a lot better on V2 aswell



    - Meats -
    I'm glad you approve

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,849
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Agree with Gaffer about dissolves - they'd be used here to emphasise the tranquility rather than just a way of getting from one shot to the next because you couldn't find the best place to cut.
    In combination with this, I think you need to hold the shots longer (as meats has said), not only would this be desirable, but also necessary as you will lose some tim e in the transitions.
    I would also vary the length of the shots. The beginning, with all those cuts being the same length, emphasised by cutting on the same beat becomes a bit hypnotic. You are clearly aware that you don't have to cut always on the same beat of the bar, jst the beat which "feels" right.
    The later part of the vid had shots of varying length and consequently worked better for me.
    A definite improvement: just remember to shoot for a bit longer on each shoot next time.
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lost Vegas - a fake trailer UPDATED
    By thedigitalpunkz in forum User Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
  2. Zaskar is now Mark W
    By Mark W in forum Forum Announcements and News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
  3. My Horror Film Trailer *updated trailer*
    By Slytin in forum User Videos
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 01:14 PM
  4. My new updated website
    By seymore in forum Pimp the Link
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 09:50 AM
  5. Wedding in the rain - updated from your feedback!
    By Davewav in forum User Videos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •