Thread: Scratch Disk Question

Default Scratch Disk Question

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro and I've been capturing just fine, however, I'm interested in getting a bigger scratch disk. The only problem is that my case is very cramped and there's no room for an extra hard disk. So I either can get a new case and migrate my computer over to it, or hook up an external hard disk via the IEEE-1394 (Firewire) port.

So is it possible/recommended to use an external hard drive as a scratch disk to capture on?

Blog Entries

Adobe don't "officially" support external drives. It's generally not recommended to use external drives as scratch disks, but it should be ok providing you ensure you get a drive with a 7200RPM spin speed and take the procedures (defrag etc). The places you may notice if you get a slow drive is in capture (where a high sustained write speed is necessary to ensure zero dropped frames), and working with several timline layers which require high read/write access and large files.

Ultimately I'd recommend large getting large drives (more than you'd ever think necesary) and use external discs as backups. You CAN work with external drives, and if you REALLY want to go this way, get a fast drive and external housing. Cheaper and you know exactly what drive your getting.

If you get an external hard drive that uses usb 2.0 or firewire, you won't have any issues. Matter of fact, both usb 2.0 and firewire will give you a faster transfer rate than IDE. In my humble opinion, I would get the external drive before i got a new case and messed around with rebuilding the PC.

Blog Entries

It's generally not USB that acts as the bottleneck but the historical slower spin speed of generic external drives. This is changing now with faster drives used in externals, but it's my personal preference to use internal drives for video editing work.

I have a tower PC with 5 internal drives - remember you can convert a CD drive bay.

I agree, i use a tower with 3 pretty huge drives. And you are right, i'ts important to ensure 7200rpm as well as the biggest cache you can get (at least 8 meg). I sometimes forget that what is obvious to me may not be to others.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adrenachrone
    I sometimes forget that what is obvious to me may not be to others.
    It's best to assume people know bugger or little about PC technology on these boards . Most people "into" PCs tend to stick to tech forums for vidting chat and advice - which does, of course, mean that they miss out on the more artistic side *cough*. And before anyone says anything, yes I'm not artistic nor am I techie

Thanks for all the input, I'm still checking out prices, so I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably end up with the external hard drive. I'm going to wait and see how cheap I can get at least a 200GB.

Just remember though, that officially, hard drives are not supported by Adobe. So if you ever have (or decide) to call them for support they'll tell you to work on internal drives only and to transfer everything and call them back if you still have a problem. Same thing for networked drives.