Thread: My first stop motion.. Let me know what you think

Default My first stop motion.. Let me know what you think

Created this little clip with my LX3, used PS and WMM for some basic editing..

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by samelore; 05-30-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Somehow pleasing images but way to long to keep my interest.

3. Default

Want the truth?
    It's interesting but not really stop motion. Looks like you just videoed a 'play' and used freeze frames. Also, no real story I can tell. What is the point or story? I feel very detached from this video instead of being draw in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
    It's interesting but not really stop motion. Looks like you just videoed a 'play' and used freeze frames.
    Yep. Time lapse rather than stop motion.
    An interetsing experiment for the maker, but ultimately unsatisfying for the viewer.
    Tim

Thanks alot for your comments, I really appreciate the honesty! Its what I need to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    An interetsing experiment for the maker, but ultimately unsatisfying for the viewer.

Yes, i think this sums it up pretty nicely. I do agree that the clip is a bit long and without substance/story, have gotten this comment from several people. The original thought behind the clip was to create something the theatre group could use to show off their performance, whitout giving it all away, so to speak.. Also it was a personal voyage into the cameras capabilites and discovering some basic editing skills. I did not put much thought into this beforehand or do any planning, but will definately keep your comments at mind for the next shoot..

The clip was made with an LX3 compact shooting at 2fps. Have not thoroughly researched the terminology regarding if it should be called time lapse or stop motion, just assumed it was stop motion... so thanks for clarifying that!

Think my ultimate goal is to use this technique, together with tilt/shift effect, as parts of other work i have "planned.."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samelore View Post
    Think my ultimate goal is to use this technique, together with tilt/shift effect, as parts of other work i have "planned.."
    I'll look forward to seeing some of that. Having only recently (through this forum) become aware of the tilt/shift effect, I found it quite fascinating.
    Tim

7. Default

FYI-Definitions. (Just so people don't learn the wrong terms)

Stop Motion - is where you position objects or people then take a frame. Move the position slightly and take another frame. Do this for 4 to 30 frames for each second and put the frames together and you have a stop motion animation. Also called Pixilation. Claymation uses the technique.

Time lapse - Capturing on film or video at a greatly reduced frame rate something that is happening in real time. The frames are then put together at a normal frame rate and the action of the subject is therefore sped up. Like watching a flower bloom in a few seconds, clouds passing by, the sun rise and set in a few seconds, traffic zooming by back and forth at an intersection, etc.

Blog Entries

As the others have said, it was interesting but a bit too long. If your intention was...

Quote Originally Posted by samelore View Post

The original thought behind the clip was to create something the theatre group could use to show off their performance, whitout giving it all away, so to speak..

Then it may have missed the mark because we saw a lot of the performance, albeit in fast-forward.

I think that it's a good idea and, with a bit of work, could be just right. Personally I would shorten the time-lapse sequences, add a few close-ups and play with the time scale a bit more.

9. Default

Not really what people expect from 'stop motions' to be honest. It dragged on way too long to hold anyone's attention and there was no real story to it.

Nice music though!

I agree with the above statements. Stop motion should basically show the person standing up and pretty much sliding across the floor without steps.

Try it again but take TINY steps, moving your legs as little as possible - making the editing easier and the playback smoother.
    I haven't tried any stop-motions but I would imagine that's an easy way to do it.