Thread: Super Rejects

Default Super Rejects

Here is a new video that I made at school for a project in my digital media class. Its about 4 super heroes that get rejected from super hero school. Tell me what you think.

Blog Entries

I've only watched the first four minutes so far (that seems so insulting when you've all spent so much time & effort putting this together, but unfortunately that's the nature of the game)

Usual stuff - as you're studying media I'll be perhaps harsher than if you just piddled around making vids as a hobby (like I do). A lot of this is stuff you can very easily improve on, just by bearing it in mind next time.

The opening is a good low key setup which sets the scene and draws us in. However the lighting here (and elsewhere) is quite poor. There is nowhere near enough light on the characters faces and this is not helped by the fact that the exposure seems to be adjusted for the whole picture rather than the talent - the whole picture being made up of lots of bright white wall.

Some of the actors need to speak much more clearly and less hurridly. "I have super strength" is really unclear, for example.

The two shot at 20 secs was badly composed. Because the right third of the screen looked intentionally emptly I found myself looking there for something (there was a light switch!)

The laser eyes effect itself was very well done (I know you like to get your effects good). There was a slight problem that the rubble fell behind the talent - I understand getting it to fall on the talent would be much more complex. Because we had not been given any clues to depth, I had hitherto assumed the chairs were against the wall (why wouldn't they be) , but suddenly we have stuff falling between the wall and the chairs. Lesson learned - establish the gap first. Also, I know the other three supeheros are meant to be unimpressed, but they absolutely should have some reaction to the falling rubble - the obvious thing in this case (which would help emphasise the rubble is falling behind them) would be to brush dust from the backs of their shoulders.

The two front shots of Xavier are too similar to provide a contrast. As a consequence cutting from the slightly wider shot to the slightly tighter shot really looks looks bad (jump cut). This is not helped by the fact that the talent is not holding the same position between cuts (this happens elsewhere in the film as well). It's also not helped by the fact he's pretty static.

Always try to cut on action. The eye is distracted by action and thuis other inconsistencies are not obvious. If you're cutting together shots from the same (or very similar) angle, make sure the shots are very different in terms of distance from the camera. If you cut in to a BCU from a mid shot and then back out again you d not have to worry about where (for example) the hands are as it is quite conceivable they would have moved while we had the BCU.

If you find in the edit suite you only have two similar shots and really need to cut between them, insert a cutaway.

If you need it, specific example of these jump cuts are at 1.54 and 2.41 - his body in both cases is in a totally different position. Watching again, I can see why you framed the shots as you did - bothe fit te "Xavier Super School" sign neatly across the top of the frame - and the problem with going in closes while keeping the sign visible would mean you'd have too much head room (Xavier's eyes would be too low down the frame) - anyway you couldn't get in much closer without losing the ends of the signs. Not easy, is it?

I thought the choice of uplifting supehero music whilst introducing the school scene made for a good link - also showing the school sign immediately set the scene for where we were.

I did not like the tilt up and down on the handshake shot. It looked like amateur "hosing". Static shot would have been better - I realise you're following the action but this isn't quite the same as following someone running, weaving in and out. It may have woked to humourous effect if you'd cut to a tight shot of just the hands with a tilt up and down for that segment of the handshake - I'm not sure.

Again you have some lighting problems in this scene. We often see the talent in a shaded area but with bright exterior behind, resulting in them being semi-sillhouetted.

The worst part of this scene for me though was the crossing the line. The handshake sequence has Super Strength on the right, and the guy landing in the bush appears to be shot from the same side (he's moving right to left in the frame) but when we see the effect itself they're on opposite sides (the gut is moving left to right). Bad, bad, bad!

The actual effect itself was very well done. You're clearly aware that less is often more, and not dwelling on the effect certainly makes it more believeable.

The shot at 3.52 is at an angle for no reason whatsoever that I can tell. Just looks like sloppy camerawork.

I hope I get a chance to look at (and comment on) some more of this over the weekend or maybe let some others get a word in. I can't say the humour is entirely my cup of tea (hardly surprising as I'm a 49 y/o Brit) so I won't comment on that particularly. I can see the effort you've put into this and think that with just a little bit more thought you could be making much better films.

It's good to see someone making a decent film with decent effects. All too often it's just a really poor film as an excuse to use loads of effects or a good film with some third rate effects. This is far from a very poor film and has some first rate effects. Well done.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-29-2010 at 02:30 PM.
    Tim

OK so the reason why we had bad lighting for the first scene is because we were filming it in a very small green screen room. There were a few lights but they only created issues with strong shadows on the green wall. That's also why I had adjusted the exposure for the whole scene was to make it easier to key the green screen out. The lighting is better in the rest of the video. Also the room is so small that it made it difficult if not impossible to get any other angles, other than what we had. Thats why we had to do so many jump cut shot on Xavier. We actually figured out a way to composite an over the shoulder shot over Xavier's shoulder while he was talking, looking at the super hero's but because of time issues we never got the shot filmed. For the laser effect shot, like you said, we couldn't have any debris fall on the actors because it was all CG. Thats why we had him aim his head back behind them. So then I thought that it might make sense that it was falling behind them. However there is some smoke and dust that does fall in front of them if you watch closely. I was also going to add some shadows to the super heroes shot like I did with the professor to show that they are not just sitting right up against the wall but for the first shot when they were all walking in, I couldn't get the shadows effect to work right so I decided to leave them out for the other shots too.

4. Default

All your videos look the same.
    Same location, same actors, same attempts at humour, with a few sci fi effects.
    If you've watched one you've watched them all, why dont you try something different for a change?

Allison

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    Same location, same actors, same attempts at humour, with a few sci fi effects.
    If you've watched one you've watched them all, why dont you try something different for a change?

Allison
    Ok this video was made at school in my digital media class and it has the same actors because those kids are in the same class as me. Also Because this was a school project that I made in a class pretty much means that I had to make it at school and that's why it the same location as the last couple of videos that I posted and those previous video where also made in my digital media class at school.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamie9 View Post
    Also the room is so small that it made it difficult if not impossible to get any other angles, other than what we had. Thats why we had to do so many jump cut shot on Xavier.
    How about my comments that there were two other ways to avoid these jump cuts - 1. make the contrast greater (ie go in much closer for the second shot) and 2. use a cutaway (one of the many posters on the wall would be an obvious choice)
    You've also ignored the fact that his position changes between the cuts.

Agree or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jamie9 View Post
    For the laser effect shot, like you said, we couldn't have any debris fall on the actors because it was all CG....there is some smoke and dust that does fall in front of them if you watch closely.
    I did notice this. My point was the actors could have helped the effect and their positioning with a bit more "acting".
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    Making the same sort of film time & time again didn't do Michael Winner much harm (though he's perhaps not a great example)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Making the same sort of film time & time again didn't do Michael Winner much harm (though he's perhaps not a great example)
    But Michael Winner usually has naked ladies in his films.