Thread: Saving custom text effect Vegas 8

Default Saving custom text effect Vegas 8

Have a question, will be hard for me to explain... but hopefully you will all understand.

This question is about Sony Vegas Pro 8.

A while back, I made the following text effect:

Just placed some text, and then editing it so that at certian parts it would blur in, glow, and then blur out.

I have used this effect in multiple videos by coping/pasting and changing the text and maybe the color, ect.

But, I am about to install Windows 7, clean install. Now if I do this, how can I back up this effect?

Can I just save the .veg file and move it to my new PC, and it should work, right?

And is there a way I can save this effect and make it a standard effect to choose from in the media generator tab? For example, the default Vegas 8 comes with the "Plain Scrolling on Black" effect under the Credit Roll option.

Is there a way I can put my effect into there, so I do not have to copy/paste it from project to project all the time?

Any help would be appreciated!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ABC190 View Post
    Can I just save the .veg file and move it to my new PC, and it should work, right?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC190 View Post
    And is there a way I can save this effect and make it a standard effect to choose from in the media generator tab? For example, the default Vegas 8 comes with the "Plain Scrolling on Black" effect under the Credit Roll option.

Is there a way I can put my effect into there, so I do not have to copy/paste it from project to project all the time?

Any help would be appreciated!
    A text preset would only be able to hold a record of all the parameters you can change within the generated media dialog. The problem here is that you also add some FX.
    So you'd need to create this in two parts: A generated mediia preset and an FX chain preset.

Note however that any changes over time in the text generated media (for example changing the positioning in the placement tab) will NOT be saved, although changes to parameters in the FX over time will. I think!
    Tim

Thanks for the quick reply.

How would I go about saving a text preset and a FX chain preset?

Blog Entries

To save a preset:

Suppose you play around with a Sony Colour Curves effect and get something you like. Within the Colour Curves Dialog, in the drop down box at the top, labelled "Preset", just overtype the preset with a new name (eg "ABC190 Curves") and click the floppy disk icon to the right.

Now, whenever you add a colour curves effect, your "ABC190 Curves" will appear in the drop down box.

Saving chains:
    Say you have a few FX on an event, that you want to save and apply to other events in another project.
    From within the FX dialog, click on the "Plug-in Chain" icon (the left most icon of the group of icons at the top right of the dialog. This is th same icon you use for selecting another effect to add.
    There's a "Save as" button on the right. Bet you never even noticed it! Click on it and give your FX Chain a name.
    When you want to apply it to another event, click on the Event FX icon as normal and on the RH side of the dialog which appears (from which you select your fx) click on the "FX Packages" folder. Your saved FX chain will be in there.

To transfer you FX packages from one PC to another, you'll need to download the free utility "Sony Preset Manager". I believe there are a couple of "Gotcha's" (such as I *think* to save and presets they have to be saved as an FX Package rather than just as a preset within the FX) but I've not really used this in a critical situation. I don't have many presets.

Good luck.
    Tim

Thanks so much Tim.
    I know Im coming in on this thread late, but this helped me out a lot.
    Im going to practice this as soon as this video stops renering.
    Theres a lot I need to learn so I hope you dont mind the inquiries.

-Allan