Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time lapse film while driving

1. Default Time lapse film while driving

Hello!

I'm looking for a budget solution to the idea of time-lapse filming a car journey.

IDEA 1 - inconspicuous camera somewhere on the dashboard linked to a "security" VCR in the boot set to shoot (say) 1 fps - powered by a 240/12v inverter.

IDEA 2 - some sort of camcorder on the dashboard doing time-lapse (not a preferred option due to the bulk)

IDEA 3 - I seem to remember seeing a review of one of these "mini" "flip" camcorders that can do time-lapse???

Anyone got any thoughts???

Roger

I may be wrong but I don't know of any budget cameras that can do time-laps. You could take footage of the journey in normal time and then speed it up in post.

Something like these?
    Vehicle safety cameras

Well done Tim, these are a good find.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Something like these?
    Vehicle safety cameras
    Thanks for that ... that looks like the sort of thing that would do the job!

Roger

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I may be wrong but I don't know of any budget cameras that can do time-laps. You could take footage of the journey in normal time and then speed it up in post.
    Thanks for the reply, BUT.......... as it is going to be 2 or 3 weeks driving, that would not really be practical.

Roger

Blog Entries

I think that the best option would be something like a Nikon Coolpix which can do time-lapse, or can be set to take one picture at set intervals. The bulk on the dashboard would be hardly noticable, certainly no larger than a satnav or mobile.

Default Digital Stills camera?

I would say go for a digital compact camera that has an intervalvometer, that way you can get days/weeks worth of shots and then simply convert the sequentially numbered images into a video (many packages do this, you can even use free software like virtualdub and simply open the first image to have them all opened as a video).

I used to use a Ricoh R6 camera that has an inbuilt intervalvometer with a minimum setting of 5 seconds. Here is a video of a trip on the motorway . The camera was attached to my windscreen by a suction cup mount. It was upside down so I turned all the photos round in post.

Going this route you need to know what the limits on the intervalvometer are, some can only do 99 shots sequentially, the ricoh R range are only limited by card size. The 5 second minimum may be too long for car driving time lapse, I mostly used it for
    This seems better at 5 second shots.

I am out, afloat, for 1 or 2 weeks at a time and recording 8 to 12 hours footage per day, so I needed a solution in 2007 that wouldn't consume stupid amounts of disc space that video cameras seemed to offer and have a decent resolution (320x240 isn't what I wanted), so I went the photographs rather than video route.

I have now gone to a Canon digital because of the CHDK scripting facility, so you can tweak scripts to get what you want. My latest videos like this had shots taken at 2.5 seconds to get a smoother feel but keep it all on a few SD cards. I'm getting an ext HDD for my netbook so next time I may try 1 second and High Def.

I hope 3 vids in one post is okay

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting. Food for thought & examples are very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by canals View Post

I hope 3 vids in one post is okay
    Absolutely no problem in a thread like this. We only ask for "one vid per thread" in the User Vids section where people post vids for constructive criticism (it gets confiusing f there are more than one)
    Tim

10. Default

[QUOTE=canals;142342]I would say go for a digital compact camera that has an intervalvometer, that way you can get days/weeks worth of shots and then simply convert the sequentially numbered images into a video (many packages do this, you can even use free software like virtualdub and simply open the first image to have them all opened as a video).

................... etc

Many thanks for the reply .... canal films work well! It's food for thought.

First thing I'm going to try out is a security system video recorder, with a camera on the dash.

Roger

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast