Thread: how to edit/modify a single frame

Default how to edit/modify a single frame

I have a lot of uncompressed AVI files from digitizing old b/w 8mm films. Every film-frame is digitized individually. Some frames are quite bad but can be improved a lot by editing them by hand. Extracting a frame is no big deal. Most tools I use (like AVIedit or AVIdemux) are able to export a single frame.
    Q: I am looking for a tool that enables me to insert a changed frame (bitmap file) into the AVI. I cannot seem to find that. I know that I can completely export a AVI into all its frames, change 1 frame and then completely repack all bitmaps into an AVI, but surely there must be a simpler solution?
    Your help is very much appreciated!

The only way I know how to do it is to take a snapshot of the frame. Edit the frame in a photo-shop type of a program and insert it in the correct place on the time line and delete the old frame from the time line.

Most of the NLE's will let you do this.

Midnight Blue, I know (or, I've been told..) that the Adobe products should be able to do that. But I was hoping there is a cheaper tool or even open-source/freeware solution for it. I tried AVIedit, AviDemux, VirtualDub and I sniffed at AviSynth but they either do not support it or I am not resourceful enough to find out how to.
    So my question is really: _how_ (what tool & what method) can I insert/replace a single frame in an AVI file?

You may find Windows movie maker may be able to do it BUT I don't know for sure. I'm not familiar with the free download ones. Sony Vegas Movie Studio is less than 50. You can download a free 30 day trial of a lot of the main NLE's.

Movie Maker and Vegas Movie Studio (but also Camstudio and Pinnacle Studio and most other movie editors) can insert pictures in a movie. A picture is then inserted at a specific point in time. But that point in time is usually not a specific frame. And a picture insert is always visible a specified amount of time (usually specified in seconds or tenths of a second) nut not just 1 single frame. That is just like painting on a moving piece of paper. It is almost impossible to be precise. But because I need to restore individual frames, I cannot just insert a picture "very briefly"
    Does anyoneone know any AVI tools to manipulate individual frames?

If you enlarge the time line so the scrubber moves one frame at a time, like you can with Sony Vegas you can insert the image very accurately. Perhaps you can actually restore the image without doing it frame by frame with the NLE tools.

Blog Entries

Just to reiterate what Midnight is saying.
    It really is very easy in Sony Vegas to take a snapshot of a single frame (of course it's a single frame) to create a jpg which you can edit, delete the original single frame and insert the edited snaphot for the length of one single frame in place of it.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by gnirfx View Post
    I know that I can completely export a AVI into all its frames, change 1 frame and then completely repack all bitmaps into an AVI, but surely there must be a simpler solution?
    It may depend on the level of ease required. FFMPEG (latest builds available at Automated FFmpeg Windows Builds) can be run from a command prompt.

For example, I converted an avi file to png files with the command:
    ffmpeg -i example.avi -s 1280*720 image%d.png
    Then, modified some frames in my preferred image processing software; then rebuilt the avi file with this command:
    ffmpeg -i image%d.png newvideo.avi

Tim, thnx for the tip. Would you mind telling me how you manage to do that in Vegas? I tried to, but seem to get into the same trouble as most video editing software:
    - the tool immediately resamples and "enhances" the uncompressed bitmapped AVI I import into the tool. It then changes the FPS to 25 or 29. (sure, I can change it into 16 fps afterwards) And when I insert a frame, it assumes I want to insert a picture with a minimum duration of 4 seconds en blends the image somewhat. Possibly you can change that duration back to a minimum at which you see only 1 videoframe, but I could't find how and I am not convinced it doesn't change that frame (smooth, blend, etc) whan you do.
    The tool is probably great if you want to make a video movie, but it is not at all helpful if you want to edit an AVI file. Last but not least, I couldn't find a way to save/export the resulting AVI to a new uncompressed bitmapped AVI.
    But, you were very convincing in your statement that editing a single videoframe would be a breeze with Vegas, so it might be that I did not push the right buttons? If you can teach me how, I might become a Vegas fan after all..