Thread: Movies manipulate our primal response

Default Movies manipulate our primal response

"Evolutionary biologists say they have the scientific backing to confirm suspicions that movies exploit our innate response to alarm and distress calls. To stoke fear and excitement or make it subside, movie sound engineers manipulate an audio pattern called "non-linear vocalisation," according a paper published in the journal Biology Letters."

News article: Movies manipulate our primal response News in Science (ABC Science)

What surprises me about this article is that it's regarded as "new" information. What do they think music is. It has been used to express and invoke an emotional response since it was invented (whenever that was). It is changes in frequency and volume.

As for giving it a fancy name like "non-linear vocalisation" which is just a scream or a cry is just someone trying to justify there research grant money.

I've heard that scientist have found that touching a hot item can burn you but we can be reassured that this burning is only at the point of contact.

Thanks for the link

Sadly, most news reports of the research paper are based on the limited details in the freely available abstract. I might like to read the whole paper, but don't want to spend 27 UKP at Biology Letters .
    However, I suspect the research is more interesting than the conclusions. For example:
    Professor Daniel Blumstein has suggested that, until now, filmmakers probably didn't understand the science behind what they were doing. "I think they've been doing it instinctively," he said.
    and
    "Together, our results suggest that film-makers manipulate sounds to create non-linear analogues in order to manipulate our emotional responses," says the paper.
    Perhaps the good Professor does not recognise that film makers do understand it and have been deliberately doing it for years.

I wonder also if the research properly considered contexualisation. Sounds of a grunting man and screaming woman are not necessarily signs of distress.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I wonder also if the research properly considered contexualisation. Sounds of a grunting man and screaming woman are not necessarily signs of distress.
    As far as Mrs TimS is concerned, they are
    I'm inclined to agree with both you an Midnight. Nothing new, merely justification for spending money stating the bleeding obvious,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As far as Mrs TimS is concerned, they are
    I'm inclined to agree with both you an Midnight. Nothing new, merely justification for spending money stating the bleeding obvious,
    For true! Hollywood (a collective term for filmmakers) has known these things for years. Heck, they deliberately manipulate sounds and images, knowing full well the results they expect. As previously mentioned, these "Academics" (Definition: A person educated beyond his or her common sense) are just trying to justify their thesis for a degree or a grant; which is reviewed and awarded by other Academics. You think I'm being too harsh?

I'll have everyone know that I have a BS & PhD (last three letters stand for "piled high & deep")