Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Innocence of War - WW2 Short Film

Default The Innocence of War - WW2 Short Film

Alright guys

Here is my latest short film called 'The Innocence of War'. It's been submitted to the virgin media shorts competition so I'd really appreciate feedback and support by voting on the website.

Thanks

Cal
    The Innocence of War by callum-thomson Virgin Media Shorts

The Innocence of War by callum-thomson Virgin Media Shorts

Great job. Visually it looks very good and the audio is also very good.

Just one little thing, the explosion FX at around 25 secs was way to small for the sound you have put on it. But I must say I thought the FX in general was very good.

Blog Entries

Nice looking film and a great idea. Effects weren't too overstated as they often are.

Loads of work has clearly gone into it as well. If I had to criticise it would be the fact that the soldiers looked far too clean. Theres should be camouflage and/or mud on their faces.
    It's always easy to say it would be better if it was shorter, but I'm not sure that all the dialogue actually added much.
    To that extent it might be an even better one-minute film.

It also feels to me like it sends out a message, though I'm not sure that's the intention and if it is, I've no idea what the message is. Maybe it's just enigmatic.

Very good work.
    Tim

I can see what mean Midnight blue with the first explosion, bit late now though but thanks

Thanks a lot Tim, you always give great feedback. I did condense it to 2 mins for a film festival but that just meant cutting credits. The dialogue was written as though spoken by the kids so when you rewatch it you can appreciate it more.

There are multiple messages of the film but I'll leave that up to audience interpretation

Once again Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctbullet View Post
    There are multiple messages of the film but I'll leave that up to audience interpretation
    Enigmatic it is, then!
    Tim

6. Default

The camera, audio and editing was absolutely sick.

But, i think one of these soldiers cant act... at all.

Also yeah, as already mentioned, i think it would look much more real if you like, add dirt mess them up etc..... Looks too pretty for a war.

Blog Entries

The dialogue was written as though spoken by the kids so when you rewatch it you can appreciate it more.
    To be honest, I found the dialogue very difficult to make out what with all the other sound, so I didn't give it much importance. Watching subsequent times given your comments above, I still strained to make it out (unsuccessfully at points). This was through "adequate" PC speakers. Through cans it was much better and I was able to apprecieate it more.

However, "pro" films inc war still sounds OK on my speakers, so I'm guession they do some trickey with the sound to get better separation between dialogue and the background battle sounds. Be interesting to know what - maybe Gaffer or TimA have some idea?
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phillkruglov View Post
    The camera, audio and editing was absolutely sick.
    Please include an age verification certificate if you make comments like this. I was about to respond with "Please be more specific; what did you think was wrong with it?"
    Tim

Thanks again guys

I guess we could work on the mix of the audio. I'll get on researching war sound etc

Tim, sick means great to youngsters these days

Blog Entries

Tim, sick means great to youngsters these days
    As I said I nearly posted "What was wrong with it?"

[grumpy old git]
    Bad means good. wicked means good, sick means good.

Perhaps this is the result of a generation who have been taught in an enviroment that suggests there's no such thing as failure: teacher gives you a bad mark and when challenged is not allowed to say it means the work is poor but has to say it's "differently good". Result bad - good.

What do the under 30s say if they want to say something is bad, wicked or sick?
    [/grumpy old git]
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast