Thread: Blending/blurring unwanted artifact

Default Blending/blurring unwanted artifact

Hi guys,

I've got a situation where I have a video, and on the left of the screen for the duration of about one second, I have an unwanted artifact, it's black/grey and in the shape of a triangle. I've got a black blurred border around the whole video anyway, but it's still showing through for that one second. Just to make it clearer, it doesn't just flash up then go again, it appears from out of the side of the left of the screen, then goes away again.

Is there any way, for the short duration that it is visible, to make it 'fit in' with the black blurred border that's already sort of covering it, therefore making it just appear as part of the border? It doesn't stretch beyond the inner edge of the border, so I'm really just looking for a way to make the colour of the artifact and the colour of the border match.

I know the easiest way would be to just make the border black solid, or make it thicker, but unfortunately that's not an option.

Thanks in advance, I hope that wasn't too complicated...!

Blog Entries

Is the border an FX on the one video track or an overlay?
    Can you post a screen grab of the offending clip.
    I can think of a number of ways of doing this, but I'd like to see the image first.
    Tim

Thanks for the quick response.

Here's an image of the problem, I've put a red arrow pointing to the unwanted artifact, you can see it poking through the border. The border is just put on the video track using the Video FX.

Thanks

Blog Entries

OK.
    Hopefully the clouds aren't moving too much.

Copy the event to the track above.

User the Cookie Cutter video FX on the upper track and cut out a section from the track just above or below the triangle, a bit larger than the triangle. Use the track solo button so you can see what you're doing. You'll want to experiment with different shapes of "Cookie" - maybe oval side, triangle right or arrow right. Feather it somewhat.

Now use track motion on the upper track to move the "cookie" (the feathered area you've cut out) up or down so that it covers the black triangle in the lower event.

Play around with the shape and feather until it looks as good as you can get it.

Note: Depending on how much movement is in the image, its quite possible that you'll get better results if you don't cut your "Cookie" from higer or lower in the same image, rather use the same area, but from a section of film before or after the triangle appears. It's all a bit of trial and error, but I'm sure you'd be able to do something acceptable.

Also realise that what is glarigly obvious to you may well not be noticed by someone watching the film just once or twice.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

This is a rough job, but shopuld give you an idea:

Last edited by TimStannard; 05-26-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Tim

Wow, that's exactly what I need!

However, I'm completely lost with your instructions. I've only just started using Vegas. Is there a chance you can lay it all out step by step (including where all the main buttons are...?)

I don't know if this changes anything, but I realised that my border is too big and I had to make it smaller, so the triangle is now poking out slightly. Does that change things? Here's another picture:

Blog Entries

OK one step at a time. Please let me know specifically which one you don't understand when you get to it....there are often two or more ways of doing something

1. Create a new video track above the one with your video on it.
    2. Copy your event (your edited "clip") onto it.
    3. "solo" your upper track (click the "!" button at the right hand top of the track header of your upper track - the track header is the bit on the left hand side of the timeline)
    4. Add the "Sony Cookie Cutter" video FX to the event on the upper track (you already know how to do this as you've already addded the border event)
    5. "play" with the cookie cutter. You select a shape and a size with the controls down the right of the Cookie Cutter dialog, and you can move the centre of the shape by dragging the control in the lower left or by entering values on the controls on the left.
    Start by making the size a bit smaller. This will make the "cookie" shape more obvious. Becaus you have "soloed" the track the area which is not a "cookie" will appear black. Actually it is transparent - video from the lower track will show through when we "un solo" the uppr track.
    Your objective is to create a small section of the image whichj we can use to "plaster over" the black triangle in the image below.
    Note: be careful of creating keyframes here. For siimplicities sake I suggest you delete all keyframes (these are the diamonds on the timeline at the botto of the cookie cutter dialog) and keep the timeline cursor within this dialog hard to the left)
    6. Use the controls within the cookie cutter dialog to "feather" the edges of the cookie - you may need to reqize again to get the right effect.
    7. "Un solo" the upper track. Nothing looks different - yet.
    8. Click on the "track Motion" icon in the track header for the upper track. (I can't describe it - just hover over each icon to see the name)
    9. In the dialog that pops up, you move the "box" shape around and that moves the image in the upper track around - like moving a slide under a microscope. To get a better idea of what this is doing, you might like to solo the track again.
    The idea in this final step is to move the "cookie" - the small piece of video we created in steps 4-6 over the top of teh offending black triangle.

Good luck (I can't send images as I'm not at a Vegas machine I'm afraid)
    Tim

Thanks very much for your time and patience.

I've actually given up on that video, as good as your instructions are I think I would need someone to actually physically be with me and talk me through it!

However, I did have another video with some irritating red writing on the upper right hand corner, and I used part of your instructions to add a black triangular cookie cutter to that corner, then I feathered it to make it part of the black blurred border I already had there. That's a step in the right direction

Thanks very much again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koosey87 View Post
    Thanks very much for your time and patience.
    You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't knock up a proper tutorial. However, the main thing is you learned something and this hopefully opened your eyes to some of the possibilities Vegas holds.
    Tim