Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help needed tidying up file structure

1. Default help needed tidying up file structure

Hi,

I am new to this excellent forum, although I have been lurking in the background reading posts for a few weeks. Now I need some help please.

I recently purchase Vegas Pro 9c and started creating an edit (project, I think is the correct term). As a 'man' I did the 'man' thing, and didn't read instructions, just went in and started the edit.

I correctly imported HDV footage off my camera but in the edit I also used still images and footage which I had already downloaded to my PC simply by using the Vegas explorer, rather than correctly 'importing'. These clips/files/images/music are dotted about my PC unhappily in a rather untidy way - I admit it, I am an untidy PC user!

Now the edit is complete I want to archive the project onto an external drive, what is the best way to do this? How to collate and save all the various files /footage used etc or is there a way that Vegas will do this for you?

Thanks
    PS I promise my next project will be better organised
    Last edited by georgeksli; 05-24-2010 at 10:27 PM.

I don't know a quick way to do it so I would do it this way.

Get rid of any thing in the media bin that is not used. Then right click the first clip and select properties or left click on the clip and click on the media properties button. This will tell you the file name and the path of the selected clip. You will then have to go to each file in windows explorer and copy them to your archive folder on your external hard drive one at a time.

I hope there is an easier way for you.

3. Default

Thanks for that - I had a feeling I might have to go through every single clip/event - there are loads! in this 23min project.

The problem I have after reading your reply is with the where you store the used clips. If I open the project now the firs clip may be store in C:\my documents\video\fast cars\ and the second might be in c:\\Sony\vegas\projects\my cars\

If I archive both clips/events to g:\video archive\mycars\video-clips if I then open the saved project in another version of Sony Vegas Pro 9c on another computer will the event actually appear or will it say it can't find the relative media clips? - which is what I suspect will happen so what would I then do?

(sorry!)

That's true, Sony will look for the clips where it was told they where but if it doesn't find it then it will ask you if you want to find the clip in a new place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by georgeksli View Post
    I correctly imported HDV footage off my camera but in the edit I also used still images and footage which I had already downloaded to my PC simply by using the Vegas explorer, rather than correctly 'importing'.
    "Importing" would have had exactly the same effect as what you diid using vegas explorer and dropping the clips on the timeline. It doesn't move any files around it's just a different way of working (ie it allows you to assemble the clips you want into project media bins, before you touch the timeline)

Vegas has a facilities which (a) remove all unused media from the project and (b) copies all the media used in the project (into a folder you specify)

There's a good description here How to organize and backup a Sony Vegas project :planet z

What's not quite described here is the first step is to save your project as "MyProjectA", then delete the unused items from the project explorer, then I'd save again as MyProjectB using the "copy media"option.

Once you're satisfied this has worked you can reload MyProjectA, select all items, right click and "delete from project and remove files from hard disk" (This will, of course delete everything used (or unused) in the project from it's original location on the disk, so use with caution.

Sometimes life is sweet
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

There's a good description here How to organize and backup a Sony Vegas project :planet z

Sometimes life is sweet
    Thats how it's done. Very clever. It's a good job there are people around that do know what they are doing.

Thanks Tim

7. Default

thanks for that link, I'll take a more detailed look at it later. I was hoping there would be something that could solve this problem, as I felt sure I would not be the only disorganised video editor in the world!

8. Default

Just to add that works a treat!!!!

Thanks Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by georgeksli View Post
    Just to add that works a treat!!!!

Thanks Tim
    You're welcome. There's something new to discover in Vegas every day
    Tim

10. Default

You're not kidding! I just took delivery of Douglas Spotted Eagle's book on Vegas 9 (is that a great name to have or what?) after flicking through it, I think I have about 500 pages to learn (the book has 523 pages)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast