Thread: Saving Edited Clips In Premiere Pro

Default Saving Edited Clips In Premiere Pro

Following on from my previous post http://www.videoforums.co.uk/ftopic3136.html

I captured three clips from the digicam directly into PP so I could work directly on AVI files rather than conversion. I then started to tidy them up by editing out the bad footage. Although the clips are all the same sequence I had to do it in three stages are there was some bad footage in the middle.

After editing I used the file export command to save the clips but retained the original file names. As soon as I did that the movies were shown offline.

I then deleted the clips in PP and tried to import the amended clip as replacement but kept getting an error that the file was either damaged or unsupported format.

Fortunately I made a backup copy of each of the files at the beginning so I was able to start from scratch but each time the same thing happened.

I then deleted the project and associated files and did the capture again this time using batch capture. I now have the three clips in a new project.

The ultimate aim is to combine the three clips into one sequence but I will need to go through them to make there there isn't any residual bad footage.

I'd appreciate if anyone could walk me through the correct process for saving edited clips in PP. Would this be the same process after I combine the clips?

I've been through the Help file and strangely enough it doesn't say anything about how to save after editing.
    Soltek SL-75DRV5 [BIOS T1.8]
    Athlon XP 1800+ (1.55GHz)
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    1GB DDR PC2100 RAM
    NVIDIA Geforce FX5600-128MB
    Pioneer DVR-108 [firmware 1.18]
    Lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S (firmware GS0P)
    Samtron 93V TFT 17\" Monitor
    SB 5.1Live! Digital Sound
    Epson Stylus Photo 750 Printer
    Epson Stylus Photo R900 printer
    Be@rPaw 2400TA Plus Scanner
    Computer Eyes USB Webcam
    Microsoft Sidewinder Plus Force Feedback Pro Joystick

Blog Entries

Non Linear Editing is a process of non-destructive editing, i.e your original files stay untouched no matter what you "do" to the video. As such, what you see in the timeline is merely references to in and out points of your original files, and you must always keep the original files in order to create video from these clips.

What I think you've done is overwritten the original file with your output. Obviously this isn't what we wanted! When exporting, choose a file name different to any existing clip.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you want to achieve with the sequences. Could you confirm this?

Marc

Thanks for the reply. Should have mentioned in my earlier post that even though PP wouldn't import the edited clips I could still play them in Media Player so the actual AVI file seemed OK

I confess I'm struggling a bit to understand how PP works, not unusual at my age!

If I edit the clips and save each one to a different name in case I want to use it in another package, do I need to do anything to ensure that the changes are reflected in the final output or does PP automatically do this from the timeline?

As for the second part of your question.

As I said, I had to split the capture from the camcorder into three pieces in order to delete the bad footage I didn't need.

Ideally, I'd like to stitch the pieces together again so that the sequence is one clip, not three e.g I end up with one AVI file. This might be easier to work with in another package or if trying to play back in Media Player for example.

I'm assuming that having all three clips in one timeline consecutively e.g video 1 will achive this?

Thanks
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    1GB DDR PC2100 RAM
    Be@rPaw 2400TA Plus Scanner
    Computer Eyes USB Webcam
    Microsoft Sidewinder Plus Force Feedback Pro Joystick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by old wrinkly
    Ideally, I'd like to stitch the pieces together again so that the sequence is one clip, not three e.g I end up with one AVI file. This might be easier to work with in another package or if trying to play back in Media Player for example.

I'm assuming that having all three clips in one timeline consecutively e.g video 1 will achive this?
    Thanks
    You've just described Non Linear Editing (NLE). Import video file(s) into a project, place them (or parts of them) on a timeline, then export to one single file.

When you place a clip on the timeline, it's not the clip but reference points of that clip you're using. You can splice, speed up, slow down, repeat, reverse and even delete sections of a clip on the timeline without altering the input files. You didn't even have to capture the original video in three segments. You could have imported the video, placed it in the monitor window, placed the in and out points, then dropped this onto the timeline... then repeat another two times!

Think of the timeline as a virtual, not physical, space. Nothing on the timeline is real, so you can place several copies of the same clip on the timeline for example.

Thanks Marc

I think I understand what you are saying.

I'm going to sit down with a good malt whisky, read through, and hopefully digest before I get started again.

I will post ack with my results.
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    1GB DDR PC2100 RAM