Thread: guess whats new with avchd?

Default guess whats new with avchd?

I had to sell my camcorder 12 months ago (needed the money ) now planning getting another , panosonic sd60..... so looking at how much support for avchd has improved especially when it comes to watching the avchd.....
    errr it seems its now supported by windows7.. woo hooo
    also what? I kind of thought we'd be seeing some tv's with usb's that played avchd files. nope.
    Blu-ray players are a bit cheaper, but not exactly peanuts. So is the best output still sd dvd?
    And now the files play on windows, can I just plug the laptop into the tv and watch on bigger screen.
    Go on, whats new or on the horizon for pioneer adopters of the new tech?
    al

I'm skipping the Blue-ray and sticking with a WD TV HD Media player this uses hdmi out to the TV, then all you need is a USB2 external HDD or a USB2 flash drive.

I put all my edited 1920x1080i videos onto a 500GB external HDD, the only thing that's missing is you can't use authoring and chapter markers in your videos but the WD does remember were you left of playing so can resume playback as long as you haven't switched the power off.

The new MediaGate M˛TVDW Media Player is a similar product.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    I'm skipping the Blue-ray and sticking with a WD TV HD Media player this uses hdmi out to the TV, then all you need is a USB2 external HDD or a USB2 flash drive.

I put all my edited 1920x1080i videos onto a 500GB external HDD, the only thing that's missing is you can't use authoring and chapter markers in your videos but the WD does remember were you left of playing so can resume playback as long as you haven't switched the power off.

The new MediaGate M˛TVDW Media Player is a similar product.

Bryan

Bryan,

honestly , thats completely news to me. so its a media player you can run a usb drive through so it plays on tv? cool .
    Depending how much we get charged for it here.
    Is it the same as say, playing the file on the laptop but plugging it into the tv to watch? (which i haven't actually tried yet btw)

all the best
    alex

Hi Alex, yes it just acts as a converter for just about any type of file you have on a USB2 device, my WD TV HD Media player has 2 USB inputs (and 1 hdmi out) so I can have my 500GB external disc drive with videos, music and photos attached to 1 usb input and use the spare for testing my edited video's before I put them on the 500GB drive.

Some of these media players will take an internal HDD but a friend had one of the older Media Gates that did that but it got so hot it would crash so I am more than happy to just unplug my HDD and connect it to the computer to load it up with my stuff, I think the newer WD TV has Ethernet so could always be connected to a computer and would probable act as a player for the computer as well, but I am only familiar with the old type with no Ethernet.

Cheers Bryan