Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Question

Question Copyright Question

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and I have a question about copyrights.

I'm working on a slideshow project for a client for a 50th wedding anniversary gift. They are requesting that I use music from CD's they've provided because the songs hold particular meaning to the recipients. Clearly, this music is copyrighted, but they are insisting that THESE songs be used.

My question is, is there any kind of verbiage that I can put in the contract that states that my client is liable for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and that I accept no liability for the content? I know that this is going to be used in a private setting and the risk of it coming back to haunt either of us is unlikely, but nevertheless, I'd like to cover my own tail.

Hi - It's a little ott to spec the fine details for something this personal in a contract, so just pay a small fee and you're both covered.
    All the answers are here
    Is a Limited Manufacture licence right for me?
    Last edited by Zero; 05-24-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    What a racket!
    Despite what you may think we are very lucky in the UK to be able to pay for a blanket licence to legitimately use commercial recordings in our videos. Here are more details of the LM licence Limited Manufacture (LM)

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    What a racket!
    In principle it's only fair that music writers and producers get a % of our use of their original works.
    What would most wedding DVDs be without these exciting music tracks?
    Dull as ditchwater if we all used Copyright free or Jonny banjo from down the road.

In practise though I feel most of the fees will go towards admin and pen pushers at the licence providers.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    In principle it's only fair that music writers and producers get a % of our use of their original works.
    What would most wedding DVDs be without these exciting music tracks?
    Dull as ditchwater if we all used Copyright free or Jonny banjo from down the road.

In practise though I feel most of the fees will go towards admin and pen pushers at the licence providers.
    The MCPS & PRS are the bodies that ensure that artists & songwriters get paid their fair royalties whether it's radio plays. muzak or background music on the DVD of a wedding. We really are very, very lucky to be able to legitimately licence virtually any commercial recording for use in our productions. In the US & most other territories it is just impossible. Now if only the licence could be extended to use of commercial music in our videos on our websites & not just limited runs of DVD/BluRay.

Blog Entries

I would have replied the same myself, except the OPs profile says he is based in Queen City, USA
    Tim

Ok smarty pants - It was too early in the day for me to be orienteering as well as answering the question

Blog Entries

Ok smarty pants - It was too early in the day for me to be orienteering as well as answering the question
    Just feeling smug because I'd typed out my response and just spotted his address before clicking "Send Reply".
    Of course, I'd feel a lot smugger if I'd spotted the address before typing the reply.
    Tim

I was deceived because the forum is www.videoforums.CO.UK so expected posters to be located in the UK. It makes a pleasant change from hanging out in US based forums where all similar advice has a US slant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast