Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting your film onto a DV TAPE?

Default Putting your film onto a DV TAPE?

Hey everyone, I hope someone can help me out here.

I need to put my film onto a DV tape. I dont have a tape deck, or do I have a MAC computer.

I have Sony Vegas and a Windows computer along with a camcorder that records using DV Tapes. (HDR FX7)

Is there anyway to put your film onto a DV Tape using Sony Vegas or another piece of software? Is it possible to transfer your film to a DV Tape that is in your camcorder somehow?

If someone could give me simple instructions on how to go about this process one way or another I would be extremely grateful.

Steven

Do a search for "print to tape".

I keep getting 'failed to load the selected print device'.

Any help would be much appreciated.

To be honest, it's something I've never had the need to do with Vegas. The last time I sent DV back to a camcorder, was years ago - and I was using MSP, which did it very well.
    Sounds like either your camcorder isn't switched on to the VCR mode, or more likely, it needs the AV in/out switching in the menu?

Just fired up Vegas out of curiosity, and printed a file to tape. Works a bit different to the old MSP, but straight forward. I chose the 'crash video' method for device control. Your camcorder needs to be connected via firewire, as when you captured the DV originally. Some camcorders need to be actively switched from DV out to DV in to accept DV back from the PC.

True Paul. Is it still very few though? I haven't had a camcorder for years that didn't do DV in and out. If that's the case for Steven, it's definitely a show stopper!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    True Paul. Is it still very few though? I haven't had a camcorder for years that didn't do DV in and out. If that's the case for Steven, it's definitely a show stopper!
    The FX7 being a prosumer camcorder has DV-in and out so no problem there. The issue was always with the lower end models where an extra few quid on import duty made a big difference to the price. My 250 4 year old JVC for example only has DV-out.
    Tim

or more likely, it needs the AV in/out switching in the menu?

How would I go about doing this?

Some camcorders need to be actively switched from DV out to DV in to accept DV back from the PC.

How would I also go about doing this?

Thanks so much for your replies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TWIY View Post
    or more likely, it needs the AV in/out switching in the menu?

Some camcorders need to be actively switched from DV out to DV in to accept DV back from the PC.

How would I also go about doing this?
    Archie's talking about the same thing in both cases. The menu system on the camera. Having looked at the manual for your camera (pages 69 and 70) there doesn't appear to be an option to turn on DV in, but I note that you can set VCR HDV/DV in to Auto (default) HDV or DV. I'd suggest trying switching this to DV. Also make sure your Rec Format is set to DV.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Try putting the camera into PLAY mode. not record, then try to activate it from the software. This worked on my old JVC.
    Good point. I think any camera has to be in play mode for the PC to recognise it and control it. Counter-intuitive, but there you go.
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast