Thread: BBC 'Click' looks into YouTube and Copyright

Blog Entries

Default BBC 'Click' looks into YouTube and Copyright

Saw this on the box this morning. Well worth a watch for anyone who's had copyright material removed by YouTube.

BBC News - Is YouTube's three-strike rule fair to users?

I think it would be more fair if they just removed the offending video rather than closing the whole account. Not all copyright issues are that straight forward.

I'm not defending steeling other peoples work but I think this is harsh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think it would be more fair if they just removed the offending video rather than closing the whole account.
    But from what I read, that's exactly what they do on the first two occasions so closing the account on the third occasion is reasonable in my view.

But it is only reasonable if the piece does in fact infringe copyright.

That's not the issue, the issue is that anyone can claim copyright infringement (so, for example I could claim Street Songs was mine) and thus get your film removed and, after three goes, your account closed down. Then the onus is on the poster to prove that it is not the case.

In the cited example, the incorrectly accused poster managed to get his account reinstated by persuading each person who had falsly claimed copyright infringement to withdraw their claim.

As you can imagine the cost of doing this (as it may require legal action) could be prohibititive.
    Tim

That's exactly my point Tim, Copyright law is a very woolly area. As to why anyone would want to claim that Street Songs was there's is beyond me.

Except in TAX LAW, in this country a man or woman is innocent until proven guilty. Well until the full EU regulations come in but that's another subject.

It is not right that a multi national company has this power over an individual, saying he is guilty until proven innocent. It is against common law and civil rights. I'm not talking form some sort of politically correct, hug a hoody type of a view. I see this as a slippery road to a totalitarian autocracy. Over the top ? may be.

While I see it it wrong to steel from another person, I think we have to fight for our civil rights as they are being taken away from us bit by bit.

Now it's far to hot to get hot under the collar about things today. So I'm going to calm down now after my rant.

I sometime find 'Click' an unhelpful source. I believe this set of pages may offer a different perspective. The process looks fair and reasonable to me.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I worked with a friend and produced a short video 'Remission' on my youtube channel. All audio was taken from copyright free clips loaded with garageband and soundtrack pro.

This of course didn't stop Warner Music Group from claiming copyright over it, the audio track was at first disabled with a message to me saying it infringes copyright.

Youtube does have internal processes where you can correct an invalid copyright claim against your work. Once I raised the objection the audio track was immediately re-instated (giving the uploader the benefit of the doubt at this point) and it then went back to WMG for them to 'check'.

After about 2 months of this 'pending' the copyright claim against me was finally dropped. No apology, no explanation, nothing. Which quite frankly I find completely unacceptable, the system as a whole just treats the uploader as guilty without question and unworthy of explanation.

But then YT is a free service. But it still sucks the way this is handled.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    But it still sucks the way this is handled.
    Couldn't agree more. For most of us.
    However the problem is not most of us, who understand and respect intellectual ownership - after all we, to a greater or lesser extent, are creators of original material and whether or not we attach any worth to them probably would not like the idea of someone else benefitting from it whether financially or just in terms of reputation.
    The problem facing YouTube/Google etc is that a very large proportion of stuff posted has a blatant disregard (possibly through "principles", more likely through ignorance) for copyright ownership.
    I have some sympathy with YouTube/Google (can I call them Yoogle?) as it is clearly impossible for them to police everything that is uploaded and they can only take any action when something is brought to their attention.
    I'm aware I'm only contributing to defining the problem, not helping the situation by proposing a solution. Sorry I don't have one......yet....
    Tim

There is no perfect answer when dealing with humans. There is no one size fits all solution when the breath of diversity of internet users is so wide.

Lets just forget it and have a big virtual barbecue.

Who wants a beer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Lets just forget it and have a big virtual barbecue.
    Who wants a beer.
    I'm up for that
    Tim