Thread: Slow down, render, film, reimport, speed up

1. Default Slow down, render, film, reimport, speed up

We're busy making our 3rd music video & Allison has worked out a dance she wants Tina & I to do whilst playing our instruments.
    Unfortunately the song is very fast & I cant manage the bass part with the dance.
    We're not averse to cheating so we're looking for a way to slow the song down a precise amount within Vegas, render the audio & burn to a cd, film me at this more manageable tempo, then reimport the clip into Vegas & speed it up by the precise amount we slowed the song down.
    Hope that makes sense? We know the forum has a lot of threads about this kind of thing but we cant find one that quite answers our dilemma.
    Has anyone done this?
    Incidentally does anyone know of a plug in that can make Allison look slimmer, she's put on a bit of weight! ha ha

Sarah

If you click on the clip and select properties you get the speed change options I would only change it by no more than 25% so that would make it 0.750. If you do it any more than that, when it comes to speeding it up again, which would be 1.250 setting, the movements will not look natural. This may be amusing but not natural.

Regarding Allison's "issue" there is always the pan and crop tool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If you click on the clip and select properties you get the speed change options I would only change it by no more than 25% so that would make it 0.750. If you do it any more than that, when it comes to speeding it up again, which would be 1.250 setting.
    Actually it's not it's 1/0.75 which is 1.33.

(Imagine a 4 second clip. Shrink it to 0.75 = 3 seconds. To get that back to 4 seconds you need to lengthen it by 1 second which is 1/3 of the 3 second clip)

SA&T if you click on the video portion and do as Midnight says, this affects the video portion only (the audio doesn't change) - at least it does on my system. If you do it on the audio portion you can choose a "stretch method" in properties and then rather than enter a percenntache increase/decrease, you enter the new duration. In this instance the video doesn't stretch!

To get both audio and video to stretch together, I'd use the method of ctrl-click the right hand end of the event and drag. The amount of increase/decrease is shown in as a percentage as you do this. It takes a bit of fiddling to get accurate, and you'd need to do the maths first but this should work.
    Tim

Yes what Tim said more accurate. When you slow down the clip you make it longer in duration. When you speed it up again you don't increase it by the same % as you are dealing with a different sized clip. You will have to do your own calculations as the length of the clip is part of the work out.

My excuse is that I'd just come back from a Hayseed Dixie gig last night. Many beers and a good time was had by all.

5. Default

Thanks Tim & Midnight for replying I will try out the technique over the weekend.
    Hayseed Dixie that's the Country & Western AC/DC tribute band isnt it?
    I remember them from years ago, they were great but I thought the novelty would have worn a bit thin by now.

Sarah

Sorry about my confusing first post. Hayseed Dixie where great last night. They had developed quite a good stage show, full of humour, like all the work being tong in cheek. They don't just do AC/DC they do every thing form Aero Smith to Zep with a few of there own songs as well.

Not a serious music night but they are seriously good musicians and very friendly at the end of the evening talking to people while having a cigarette out side the gig.

Blog Entries

Like Sarah, I thought Hayseed Dixie were long gone. Great to know they're still around (heard something once on BBC London/GLR). I suspect Midnight's right, if you've got good musicians playing famous music with a touch of humour there will always be a market.
    Anyone remember Bob Kerr's Whoopee Bard from South West London?
    Tim

I remember a song they did called Cocktails for Two but thats all.